Posts Tagged MG fiction
My guest this week was so young when Faber bought her first fantasy novel that her father had to sign the contract. She’s more than built on that early promise by scooping the Carnegie Medal and the Guardian prize and is so prolific that in her credits she only lists her best-known works. Her imagination has ranged everywhere, from a fantasy czarist Russia to the far future – and thrilling, evocative music has been intrinsic to all of them. She is children’s author Susan Price, and she’s on the Red Blog with a truly rich Undercover Soundtrack.
authors, award winner, award-winning author, Carnegie Medal, children's fantasy, deepen your story, Do Authors Dream of Electric Books?, entertainment, evocative music, faber, fantasy, fantasy Czarist Russia, fantasy novel, Fix and Finish With Confidence, Guardian award, having ideas, how to write a novel, ideas, imagination, inspiration, MG fiction, music for writing, My Memories of a Future Life, Nail Your Novel: Why Writers Abandon Books and How You Can Draft, novels, publishing, Roz Morris, self-publishing, Sterkarm, Susan Price, The Undercover Soundtrack, undercover soundtrack, writing to music
‘I look for clever, lyrical music with a twinge of melancholy’ – The Undercover Soundtrack, Catherynne M Valente
‘Music and fairyland go hand in hand’ writes my Undercover Soundtrack guest this week. After cueing up her playlist I can assure you this fairyland is not just rich and strange, but funky, cheeky, cheesy, sassy, riotous, ridiculous and whimsical. It’s hardly surprising then that her novels and poetry have been nominated for numerous awards, including the Mythopoeic, the Lambda, the Hugo, Locus, World Fantasy, and Nebula. Deeply fond of writing to music, she’s also closed the musical circle by inspiring three albums by singer/songwriter S.J. Tucker. She is Catherynne M Valente, and she’s over on the Red Blog talking about The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland In A Ship Of Her Own Making.
authors, Catherynne M Valente, deepen your story, entertainment, fantasy, fiction, gaming, how to write a novel, Hugo Award, Lambda Award, literature, Locus Award, MG fiction, music, music for writers, My Memories of a Future Life, Mythopoeic Award, Nail Your Novel: Why Writers Abandon Books and How You Can Draft, Fix and Finish With Confidence, Nebula Award, novels, playlists, poetry, poets, publishing, Roz Morris, singer songwriter, SJ Tucker, The Girl Who Navigated Fairyland In a Ship of Her Own Making, The Undercover Soundtrack, undercover soundtrack, world fantasy, World Fantasy Award, writing, writing life, writing to music
Sign up for my newsletter
- 'If you're a writer or are considering becoming a writer, buy Roz's Nail Your Novel and Stephen King's On Writing. Everything else is a waste of time and money.'
- 'Showed me where I was going wrong... without making me feel like an idiot'
- 'Made me want to drop everything and get back to the manuscript'
Rozmorriswriter [at] gmail [dot] com
Find me here too
- Thanks, Janice RT @janice_hardy: A Powerful Storytelling Tool: Getting Readers to Fill In Your Characters' Blanks dld.bz/c9PF5 8 minutes ago
- @micsova Thanks, Michael! I'm addicted to @TheCreativePenn podcasts, so it's a thrill to be one of Joanna's guests 2 hours ago
- 'It's never bad to make the reader feel uneasy' @jonpinnock is on The Undercover Soundtrack ow.ly/lo46K #writing 23 minutes ago
- Music for telling stories: Undercover Soundtrack 101 at the @kobo blog ow.ly/lo46l #music #writing 38 minutes ago
All content copyright Roz Morris 2009-2013 and may not be reproduced.
If you wish to REBLOG a post, that's very nice of you - please take no more than 10% of the piece and please link back to the full post here.
INTENSIVE MULTIMEDIA COURSE WITH ROZ MORRIS AND JOANNA PENN
What do you want to read about today?
It’s all here somewhereagents Amazon authors beginners beginnings books Character deepen your story entertainment fiction Fix and Finish With Confidence having ideas how to write a book how to write a novel ideas inspiration interview Kindle literary fiction literature music music for writing My Memories of a Future Life Nail Your Novel: Why Writers Abandon Books and How You Can Draft Nail Your Novel: Why Writers Abandon Books and How You Can Draft, Fix and Finish With Confidence novels Planning Plot polishing publishing revising Rewriting Roz Morris self-publishing The Undercover Soundtrack unblocking undercover soundtrack writer's block writing writing a novel - Nail Your Novel writing business writing life writing prompt writing routine writing to music
Type something. See what happens
- Music for telling stories – guest spot on Kobo Writing Life
- ‘It’s never a bad thing to make the reader feel a bit uneasy’ – The Undercover Soundtrack, Jonathan Pinnock
- Why fiction characters matter and how we make them memorable – video and podcast with Joanna Penn
- Psst… the Characters Book is now available in print!
- When to trust the reader’s intuition – and when to spell out what a character feels: post at KM Weiland’s Wordplay
Out and about
Alliance of Independent Authors Professional Member