I’m delighted that this week’s guest has included Olafur Arnalds’s album Living Room Songs in his Soundtrack. I discovered it from another guest here, and it got me like a snakecharmer’s pipe. While I’ve been mainlining it to brainstorm The Mountains Novel, my latest guest has been using it to create an environment of conspiracy, calm and sexual tension for his novel Red Lory. He says he puts music on to act as a metronome, guiding his voice while he concentrates on the sentence formation and world-building. He’s also inspired by the way songwriters pack so much into a tight space, which drives him to make his prose more vibrant and potent. He is literary novelist Dave Newell and he’s on the Red Blog with his Undercover Soundtrack.
Nail Your Novel – Writing, publishing and self-publishing advice from a bestselling ghostwriter and book doctor
- Email me
- Nail Your Novel: books
- FAQ: I’m a new writer: which book should I read first?
- FREE Nail Your Novel Instant Fix: 100 Tips For Fascinating Characters
- My writing process: the picture tour
- Nail Your Novel: Why Writers Abandon Books and how you can Draft, Fix and Finish With Confidence
- Reviews of Nail Your Novel
- Who’s tweeting about Nail Your Novel …
- Writing Characters Who’ll Keep Readers Captivated: Nail Your Novel
- Writing Plots With Drama, Depth & Heart: Nail Your Novel
- Who am I?
‘Horrific stories beautifully told’ – The Undercover Soundtrack, Dave Newell
- ‘Things fall apart … hearts rip open’ – The Undercover Soundtrack, Caroline Leavitt August 16, 2017
- The end of exploration – on writing a book where you can’t make things up August 13, 2017
- ‘Choices, mistakes, consequences and childhood’ – The Undercover Soundtrack, Leonora Meriel August 2, 2017
- On publishing another book when there are already so many July 30, 2017
- ‘Music is as crucial as the ramblings in my notebook app’ – The Undercover Soundtrack, Andrew Lowe July 18, 2017
- Suspense: storytelling’s big tease – guest post at Writers Helping Writers July 15, 2017
- ‘Dance gave me the rhythm of my novel’ – The Undercover Soundtrack, Claire Scobie July 9, 2017