I’m finding it so curious to see how many novelists in this series are inspired by Bruce Springsteen. He’s probably not the kind of artiste people would imagine if you mentioned using music as a muse to write, but he’s behind so many characters and character dilemmas. My guest this week has compiled writing soundtracks ever since he was at school, and still keeps mixtapes from that time. He revisits them occasionally out of amused curiosity, and says that Springsteen gave his characters a gritty humanity he couldn’t otherwise have found. Decades on, he’s using soundtracks just as much as ever – sometimes not to write, but to fill himself with the book’s mood before he sits down at the keyboard. He is Will Overby and he’s on the Red Blog with his Undercover Soundtrack.
Nail Your Novel – Writing, publishing and self-publishing advice from a bestselling ghostwriter and book doctor
- Email me
- Nail Your Novel: books
- FAQ: I’m a new writer: which book should I read first?
- My writing process: the picture tour
- Nail Your Novel: Why Writers Abandon Books and how you can Draft, Fix and Finish With Confidence
- Reviews of Nail Your Novel
- Who’s tweeting about Nail Your Novel …
- Writing Characters Who’ll Keep Readers Captivated: Nail Your Novel
- Writing Plots With Drama, Depth & Heart: Nail Your Novel
- Who am I?
‘The thoughts start flowing again’ – The Undercover Soundtrack, Will Overby
I post 4 to 5 useful writing links per day… and other stuffMy Tweets
- ‘Music that seeps beneath your skin, then grows’ – The Undercover Soundtrack, Andrew Lowe June 30, 2015
- Three signs that your novel has too many main characters – and what to do June 28, 2015
- ‘Music and love transform your internal landscape’ – The Undercover Soundtrack, Louisa Treger June 24, 2015
- How to write dialogue that’s convincing and full of life June 21, 2015
- ‘Sleaze, self-obsession and sentimentality’ – The Undercover Soundtrack, Garry Craig Powell June 17, 2015
- ‘Janys in Venice, Tina in Canada, EJ in New Mexico…’ – global audience for our writing radio show June 16, 2015
- How I cope with writers’ RSI – and when your books come back to haunt you June 14, 2015
Sign up for my newsletter
See what I did there…