I’m finding it so curious to see how many novelists in this series are inspired by Bruce Springsteen. He’s probably not the kind of artiste people would imagine if you mentioned using music as a muse to write, but he’s behind so many characters and character dilemmas. My guest this week has compiled writing soundtracks ever since he was at school, and still keeps mixtapes from that time. He revisits them occasionally out of amused curiosity, and says that Springsteen gave his characters a gritty humanity he couldn’t otherwise have found. Decades on, he’s using soundtracks just as much as ever – sometimes not to write, but to fill himself with the book’s mood before he sits down at the keyboard. He is Will Overby and he’s on the Red Blog with his Undercover Soundtrack.
Nail Your Novel – Writing, publishing and self-publishing advice from a bestselling ghostwriter and book doctor
- Email me
- Nail Your Novel: books
- FAQ: I’m a new writer: which book should I read first?
- My writing process: the picture tour
- Nail Your Novel: Why Writers Abandon Books and how you can Draft, Fix and Finish With Confidence
- Reviews of Nail Your Novel
- Who’s tweeting about Nail Your Novel …
- Writing Characters Who’ll Keep Readers Captivated: Nail Your Novel
- Writing Plots With Drama, Depth & Heart: Nail Your Novel
- Who am I?
‘The thoughts start flowing again’ – The Undercover Soundtrack, Will Overby
I post 4 to 5 useful writing links per day… and other stuffMy Tweets
- ‘The planes, the explosions, the dust, the calm’ – The Undercover Soundtrack, Kerry Drewery July 28, 2015
- Self-editing masterclass snapshots: Characters are grief stricken – how do I stop that becoming monotonous? July 26, 2015
- ‘Close your eyes and listen with your hands’ – The Undercover Soundtrack, Tawnysha Greene July 22, 2015
- Self-editing masterclass snapshots – ‘My drafts are too brief’ July 19, 2015
- ‘The atmosphere to express the inexpressible’ – The Undercover Soundtrack, Rebecca Mascull July 14, 2015
- Writing unforgettable characters – guest post at Vine Leaves Literary Journal July 13, 2015
- Self-editing masterclass snapshots – how much will you write to create your book? July 12, 2015
Sign up for my newsletter
See what I did there…