Fasten your seatbelts for a trip to Haiti. My guest this week was inspired to write his first novel by a spell as a volunteer after the 2010 earthquake. When he returned to the US he began to write a story of friendship, the struggle for justice in the face of impunity, sacrifice for the community and the foolishness of scarcity in a world of plenty. To recreate that distinctive place and define his characters, he returned to the music he heard pouring out of the radios in Port-au-Prince – folk, rock, rap and hip-hop. He says his work is a protest novel and so he’s donating the proceeds to aid organisations he worked with to help further education, advocacy, justice reform and prosecute human rights abuses. The novel is Because We Are; he is Ted Oswald and he’s on the Red Blog with his Undercover Soundtrack.
Nail Your Novel – Writing, publishing and self-publishing advice from a bestselling ghostwriter and book doctor
- Email me
- Nail Your Novel: books
- FAQ: I’m a new writer: which book should I read first?
- FREE Nail Your Novel Instant Fix: 100 Tips For Fascinating Characters
- My writing process: the picture tour
- Nail Your Novel: Why Writers Abandon Books and how you can Draft, Fix and Finish With Confidence
- Reviews of Nail Your Novel
- Who’s tweeting about Nail Your Novel …
- Writing Characters Who’ll Keep Readers Captivated: Nail Your Novel
- Writing Plots With Drama, Depth & Heart: Nail Your Novel
- Who am I?
‘Intensity, humor, romance, piety, mystery – and protest’ – The Undercover Soundtrack, Ted Oswald
Facebook, Pinterest, Linked In, YouTube
- The blank page – conquering your fears. And a couple of writing prompts February 26, 2017
- ‘Cyclical melodies, beginnings and endings’ – The Undercover Soundtrack, Nicole Evelina February 19, 2017
- Writers, are you showing off or sharing? A way to kill your darlings February 12, 2017
- Literary writers, we are not alone – meet Main Street Writers February 10, 2017
- ‘You get an idea and… it just grows’ – interview with book and writing blogger Michelle Dunton February 6, 2017
- ‘Music is both my on and my off switch’ – The Undercover Soundtrack, Andrea Darby February 5, 2017
- 5 qualities of a brilliant story January 29, 2017