My guest this week says she always begins a project by assembling a sequence of music tracks. To start with, she notices every word and note, but after a while they settle into a familiar environment – a mental writing room that claims her attention and tells her it’s time to immerse. The novel she’ll be sharing with us is set in 1938, so her soundtrack is a mix of her own favourite contemporary songs to help capture the mood, and then a lot of material from the period of her story to conjure the historical period. She is NYT bestselling thriller author Rebecca Cantrell, and she’s on the Red Blog with her Undercover Soundtrack.
Nail Your Novel – Writing, publishing and self-publishing advice from a bestselling ghostwriter and book doctor
- Email me
- Nail Your Novel: books
- FAQ: I’m a new writer: which book should I read first?
- FREE Nail Your Novel Instant Fix: 100 Tips For Fascinating Characters
- My writing process: the picture tour
- Nail Your Novel: Why Writers Abandon Books and how you can Draft, Fix and Finish With Confidence
- Reviews of Nail Your Novel
- Who’s tweeting about Nail Your Novel …
- Writing Characters Who’ll Keep Readers Captivated: Nail Your Novel
- Writing Plots With Drama, Depth & Heart: Nail Your Novel
- Radio show
- Who am I?
‘This song says it’s time to get serious’ – The Undercover Soundtrack, Rebecca Cantrell
Le tweet …. c’est chicMy Tweets
- ‘Shadows of the past’ – The Undercover Soundtrack, Meg Carter February 11, 2016
- Keep the faith: a mindset to put criticism in perspective… and a tip to stay inspired through multiple revisions February 7, 2016
- Fates and Furies by Lauren Groff … under discussion at Literary Roadhouse book club! February 5, 2016
- ‘When I’m most lost, a song will show the way’ – The Undercover Soundtrack, Ryan W Bradley February 4, 2016
- Found in translation: three literary translators share tips and secrets January 31, 2016
- Evidence and verdicts: a simple way to understand show not tell January 24, 2016
- ‘The emptiness of being outside a perfect romantic scene’ – The Undercover Soundtrack, Dan Gennoe January 24, 2016