- Email me
- Nail Your Novel: books
- FAQ: I’m a new writer: which book should I read first?
- My writing process: the picture tour
- Nail Your Novel: Why Writers Abandon Books and how you can Draft, Fix and Finish With Confidence
- Reviews of Nail Your Novel
- Who’s tweeting about Nail Your Novel …
- Writing Characters Who’ll Keep Readers Captivated: Nail Your Novel
- Writing Plots With Drama, Depth & Heart: Nail Your Novel
- Who am I?
Archive for June 4th, 2014
My guest this week says music has always been a companion to his writing. He drafted his first book in restaurants, bars and cafes while travelling the world, and now he turns to music to settle into the writing mood. In his fiction he likes to explore the bittersweet, the unresolved, the questions, the dark side of a strength, and draws inspiration from the songwriters and performers who can break your heart in three minutes flat – while fitting the shape of a tune. He is David Gaughran and he’s on the Red Blog with his Undercover Soundtrack.
American Idol, authors, Band of Gold, Bessie Smith, Bill Withers, Bob Dylan, Bobby Gentry, Dave Van Ronk, David Gaughran, Desert Island Discs, Diana Ross, emotional resonance, Ernie Ford, Freda Payne, Game of Thrones, historical fiction, Johnny Cash, Lee Christmas, literary fiction, literary novels, male writers, Mercenary, Motown, music, music for writers, music for writing, My Memories of a Future Life, Nail Your Novel, Nelson Mandela, Nina Simone, non-fiction, Ode To Billy Joe, playlist for writers, Roz Morris, science fiction, Special AKA, The Band, The Pogues, The Supremes, The Undercover Soundtrack, undercover soundtrack, writers, writing, Writing Characters Who'll Keep Readers Captivated: Nail Your Novel, writing to music
You are currently browsing the archives for Wednesday, June 4th, 2014
I post 4 to 5 useful writing links per day… and other stuffMy Tweets
- What keeps you resilient as a writer? March 1, 2015
- ‘I heard a song being played in an electrical store’ – The Undercover Soundtrack, Glynis Smy February 25, 2015
- Can writing be taught? And what do writing teachers teach? February 22, 2015
- How do we label ourselves as writers? Guest spot at Dan Holloway – and the box set is available NOW! February 21, 2015
- ‘Music for looking into the past’ – The Undercover Soundtrack, Audrina Lane February 18, 2015
- Are you underusing your best plot ideas? Guest post at KM Weiland February 15, 2015
- Self-publishing and staying true to yourself – interview at Jane Davis’s blog February 12, 2015
Sign up for my newsletter
See what I did there…