My guest this week describes his writing as a constant state of striving – to achieve the same visceral punch of great music. His books come to him that way too – protagonist, thread and plot in one hit. In fact I’ve actually seen this thunderbolt descend; I was with him on a course one day when he told me he’d just overheard a conversation that gave him an entire plot and its characters in an instant. After that comes the hard work, of course, and music helps him return to that state of fever. The novel he is talking about this week is the first in a crime series, set in the final years of Moorish rule in Spain, and its soundtrack is full of sweat, guitars, lutes and bass. He is David Penny and he’s on the Red Blog with his Undercover Soundtrack.
Nail Your Novel – Writing, publishing and self-publishing advice from a bestselling ghostwriter and book doctor
- Email me
- Nail Your Novel: books
- FAQ: I’m a new writer: which book should I read first?
- FREE Nail Your Novel Instant Fix: 100 Tips For Fascinating Characters
- My writing process: the picture tour
- Nail Your Novel: Why Writers Abandon Books and how you can Draft, Fix and Finish With Confidence
- Reviews of Nail Your Novel
- Who’s tweeting about Nail Your Novel …
- Writing Characters Who’ll Keep Readers Captivated: Nail Your Novel
- Writing Plots With Drama, Depth & Heart: Nail Your Novel
- Who am I?
‘Music of raw power, pulling back from chaos and feedback’ – The Undercover Soundtrack, David Penny
Le tweet …. c’est chicMy Tweets
Facebook, Pinterest, Linked In, YouTube
- 5 things I didn’t expect when I released my first novel September 25, 2016
- Is your writing a hobby, an art, a business, a vocation, a profession? Let’s discuss September 18, 2016
- Is the tone of your prose in tune with your novel? A simple exercise with Pharrell Williams and Yellow Magic Orchestra September 11, 2016
- Time to stop and stare – refreshing the muse September 4, 2016
- Yes, social media DO work for writers – here’s how August 28, 2016
- Writing a slow-burn book? Three surprising ways to measure progress August 21, 2016
- The ethics of ghost-writing August 14, 2016