My first guest this year says that when she was very young, she spent a lot of time in theatres, watching her dad rehearse with bands. She would fall asleep to the sound as he played bass for the likes of Don Cherry, Lou Reed and his own band, The Everyman Band. Later she became consumed by music herself, pouring her soul into the playing of the clarinet. Tendinitis cut her music career short and a teacher suggested she write, encouraging her to write in the voice of one of the authors they’d been reading that term. ‘Voice’ – it was that word that started it. She realised that writing was musical, a sequence of rhythm, tension and release – and so her first novel took shape (and went on to win the 2013 Engine Books Novel Prize). She is Sarah Yaw and she’s on the Red Blog with her Undercover Soundtrack.
Nail Your Novel – Writing, publishing and self-publishing advice from a bestselling ghostwriter and book doctor
- Email me
- Nail Your Novel: books
- FAQ: I’m a new writer: which book should I read first?
- FREE Nail Your Novel Instant Fix: 100 Tips For Fascinating Characters
- My writing process: the picture tour
- Nail Your Novel: Why Writers Abandon Books and how you can Draft, Fix and Finish With Confidence
- Reviews of Nail Your Novel
- Who’s tweeting about Nail Your Novel …
- Writing Characters Who’ll Keep Readers Captivated: Nail Your Novel
- Writing Plots With Drama, Depth & Heart: Nail Your Novel
- Who am I?
‘Music: a space to make sense of life’ – The Undercover Soundtrack, Sarah Yaw
- ‘Music is as crucial as the ramblings in my notebook app’ – The Undercover Soundtrack, Andrew Lowe July 18, 2017
- Suspense: storytelling’s big tease – guest post at Writers Helping Writers July 15, 2017
- ‘Dance gave me the rhythm of my novel’ – The Undercover Soundtrack, Claire Scobie July 9, 2017
- Fictional characters – a lesson from Seinfeld July 7, 2017
- ‘Some of the best lyrical storytelling I’ve ever heard’ – The Undercover Soundtrack, Victoria Dougherty June 30, 2017
- Two reasons to use your official author name on Twitter June 29, 2017
- Searching for places, emotions and characters – The Undercover Soundtrack, Gwendolyn Womack June 14, 2017