My guest this week brings a distinct tone of mischief. His novel is a short story cycle about a series of characters who are struggling in the male-dominated society of Dubai. Six of the stories were directly inspired by music, but not in the way you might expect. Phil Collins puts him in mind of the pretentious and overblown. Evanescence conjures up the self-obsessed, self-pitying and immature. And Celine Dion, with that film theme? I’ll leave you to imagine. His characters suffer oppression and brutality, but they don’t go down easily. Perhaps that was an unfortunate phrase. Never mind. He is Garry Craig Powell and he’s on the Red Blog with his Undercover Soundtrack.
Nail Your Novel – Writing, publishing and self-publishing advice from a bestselling ghostwriter and book doctor
- Email me
- Nail Your Novel: books
- FAQ: I’m a new writer: which book should I read first?
- FREE Nail Your Novel Instant Fix: 100 Tips For Fascinating Characters
- My writing process: the picture tour
- Nail Your Novel: A Companion Workbook
- Nail Your Novel: Why Writers Abandon Books and how you can Draft, Fix and Finish With Confidence
- Reviews of Nail Your Novel
- Who’s tweeting about Nail Your Novel …
- Writing Characters Who’ll Keep Readers Captivated: Nail Your Novel
- Writing Plots With Drama, Depth & Heart: Nail Your Novel
- Who am I?
- Masterclass in writing style and voice – Ep13 FREE podcast for writers April 2, 2020
- All about reading groups and writing groups – Ep12 FREE podcast for writers March 31, 2020
- All about character arcs – Ep 11 FREE podcast for writers March 30, 2020
- Masterclass in titles, book covers and spines – Ep 10 FREE podcast for writers March 29, 2020
- Writing the first draft of your book – Ep 9 FREE podcast for writers March 27, 2020
- Tools for writers, Word, Scrivener, good old-fashioned paper – Ep 8 FREE podcast for writers March 26, 2020
- Devising characters for your novel – Ep 7 FREE podcast for writers March 25, 2020