My guest this week is a poet and award-winning arts correspondent as well as a literary novelist. His novel is a reckoning with loss and a mystery involving a lost painting, and his musical companions range from Ralph Vaughan Williams to Boards of Canada. He describes BOC’s music as making you feel you might walk into a mirror or meet yourself – which is not only brilliant, it’s a fairly accurate manifesto for the unsettling journey of the book. Even more exciting, I noticed as I downloaded the cover image that the novel is endorsed by one of my favourite mischievously inventive writers, Alasdair Gray. Deep breath. Philip Miller is on the Red Blog with his Undercover Soundtrack.
Nail Your Novel – Writing, publishing and self-publishing advice from a bestselling ghostwriter and book doctor
- Email me
- Nail Your Novel: books
- FAQ: I’m a new writer: which book should I read first?
- FREE Nail Your Novel Instant Fix: 100 Tips For Fascinating Characters
- My writing process: the picture tour
- Nail Your Novel: Why Writers Abandon Books and how you can Draft, Fix and Finish With Confidence
- Reviews of Nail Your Novel
- Who’s tweeting about Nail Your Novel …
- Writing Characters Who’ll Keep Readers Captivated: Nail Your Novel
- Writing Plots With Drama, Depth & Heart: Nail Your Novel
- Who am I?
‘A cracked but steely song of survival and beauty’ – The Undercover Soundtrack, Philip Miller
Facebook, Pinterest, Linked In, YouTube
- Are you a writer? Don’t neglect your reading – guest post at Writers Helping Writers January 15, 2017
- Writers’ manifesto for 2017 – take your imagination seriously January 8, 2017
- In disguise: from ghostwriting to a voice of my own – interview at Slack podcast December 22, 2016
- Repost: A writer’s guide to Christmas letters December 16, 2016
- Finishing your draft? Don’t open it again until after Christmas December 4, 2016
- 3 ways writers fail to get maximum impact from a story – and what to do instead November 27, 2016
- 2 tips for balancing writing and marketing time – Q&A from New Generation Publishing Summit November 20, 2016