My guest this week has written a psychological thriller in which two former school friends confront a life-changing event from their past. To create their teenage years in the 1980s, the author delved into her own archives, discovering old mixtapes and an Elvis Costello LP whose sleeve contained a lyric sheet written out by a close friend. She was struck by the way music became less significant over the years. What had once been such a fierce marker of personal identity was now an emblem of a simpler time – though not necessarily for the characters in her novel. She is Women In Journalism advocate Meg Carter and she’s on the Red Blog with the Undercover Soundtrack for The Lies We Tell.
Nail Your Novel – Writing, publishing and self-publishing advice from a bestselling ghostwriter and book doctor
- Email me
- Nail Your Novel: books
- FAQ: I’m a new writer: which book should I read first?
- FREE Nail Your Novel Instant Fix: 100 Tips For Fascinating Characters
- My writing process: the picture tour
- Nail Your Novel: Why Writers Abandon Books and how you can Draft, Fix and Finish With Confidence
- Reviews of Nail Your Novel
- Who’s tweeting about Nail Your Novel …
- Writing Characters Who’ll Keep Readers Captivated: Nail Your Novel
- Writing Plots With Drama, Depth & Heart: Nail Your Novel
- Who am I?
« Keep the faith: a mindset to put criticism in perspective… and a tip to stay inspired through multiple revisions
‘Shadows of the past’ – The Undercover Soundtrack, Meg Carter
- ‘Music is as crucial as the ramblings in my notebook app’ – The Undercover Soundtrack, Andrew Lowe July 18, 2017
- Suspense: storytelling’s big tease – guest post at Writers Helping Writers July 15, 2017
- ‘Dance gave me the rhythm of my novel’ – The Undercover Soundtrack, Claire Scobie July 9, 2017
- Fictional characters – a lesson from Seinfeld July 7, 2017
- ‘Some of the best lyrical storytelling I’ve ever heard’ – The Undercover Soundtrack, Victoria Dougherty June 30, 2017
- Two reasons to use your official author name on Twitter June 29, 2017
- Searching for places, emotions and characters – The Undercover Soundtrack, Gwendolyn Womack June 14, 2017