My guest this week has written a memoir of life as an international concert oboist, juxtaposed with a parallel narrative of a precarious and troubled personal life. I first came across her on The Literary Hub, where she wrote about how she left the very worst experience of all out of that book. It was so haunting that I contacted her and asked if there was any way she could write a piece for this series. She has, and the result is a trip through music that has helped her remember, or dredge up the times she preferred to forget, and moments when music helped her make life choices because of the clarity and discipline of playing. Stop by the Red Blog for the Undercover Soundtrack of Marcia Butler.
Nail Your Novel – Writing, publishing and self-publishing advice from a bestselling ghostwriter and book doctor
- Email me
- Nail Your Novel: books
- FAQ: I’m a new writer: which book should I read first?
- FREE Nail Your Novel Instant Fix: 100 Tips For Fascinating Characters
- My writing process: the picture tour
- Nail Your Novel: Why Writers Abandon Books and how you can Draft, Fix and Finish With Confidence
- Reviews of Nail Your Novel
- Who’s tweeting about Nail Your Novel …
- Writing Characters Who’ll Keep Readers Captivated: Nail Your Novel
- Writing Plots With Drama, Depth & Heart: Nail Your Novel
- Who am I?
« Worldbuilding for SF and other fiction, reimagined for roleplayers. And pony books. Podcast at Fictoplasm
‘Music is the conduit through which we can discover ourselves’ – The Undercover Soundtrack, Marcia Butler
- What makes a winner? Lessons from judging a writing competition September 19, 2018
- What do you read when you’re writing? It’s complicated September 17, 2018
- The rescued desk – where do you write? August 26, 2018
- Building readership: a quiet rebellion against three pieces of conventional marketing wisdom August 14, 2018
- A plea to authors – please speak out about piracy July 24, 2018
- Feel the fear and put yourself out there – advice for shy authors July 8, 2018
- What I wish I’d known at school: two instructions for making a creative life June 17, 2018