- Books for writers
- FAQ: I’m a new writer: which book should I read first?
- FREE Nail Your Novel Instant Fix: 100 Tips For Fascinating Characters
- My writing process: the picture tour
- Nail Your Novel: A Companion Workbook
- Nail Your Novel: Why Writers Abandon Books and how you can Draft, Fix and Finish With Confidence
- Reviews of Nail Your Novel
- Who’s tweeting about Nail Your Novel …
- Writing Characters Who’ll Keep Readers Captivated: Nail Your Novel
- Writing Plots With Drama, Depth & Heart: Nail Your Novel
- Email me
Posts Tagged Beyondaries
‘But I’m not religious,’ I said.
‘So what?’ she said.
And then I remembered a story I read as a teenager that greatly influenced my attitudes. If you were around two years ago when I was launching My Memories of a Future Life, it may be familiar because I first wrote about it then. If not, or if you don’t mind deja vu, take a leap into Beyondaries. You can also read interpretations of the subject by Dan Holloway, Chila, Scathe meic Beorh, Shannon Elizabeth Hardwick, Michael Potts and Grace Bridges.
In other news, Lifeform Three is coming soon! If that makes you curious, sign up for news. If not, as you were 🙂
authors, Beyondaries, Chila Woychik, Dan Holloway, fiction, Grace Bridges, guest post, guest posts, how to write a book, how to write a novel, Michael Potts, My Memories of a Future Life, Port Yonder Press, provocative topic, publishing, Roz Morris, Scathe meic Beorh, Shannon Elizabeth Hardwick, writing, writing a novel - Nail Your Novel, Writing Characters Who'll Keep Readers Captivated: Nail Your Novel, writing life, Writing Plots With Drama, Depth & Heart
I’m at Chila Woychik’s Beyondaries ezine today, musing about what it might have been like to take ABBA’s back catalogue and try to write the plot of Mamma Mia. Those of you who’ve followed this blog since its first days might recognise the post. It was one of my very earliest, but evapourated when I moved from self-hosting. So here it is again with hand-waving. (If you remember it from – gulp – 2009, wave back in the comments.)
As before, I’m in stimulating company at Beyondaries. Dan Holloway writes about fusing perfume and poetry. Shannon Elizabeth Hardwick talks about tackling the blank page. Grace Bridges talks about stories as ‘the thin places where realities merge’. Small press editor Gray Rinehart describes life as gatekeeper of a slush pile. And proprietrix Chila talks about creativity in the very atoms of the air.
In the meantime, I’m taking a blogging break this weekend while I plough on with the next book. Nail Your Novel: Bring Characters To Life is due for release in May, so if you’re interested to know more, sign up for my newsletter.
ABBA, authors, Beyondaries, Chila Woychik, Dan Holloway, elizabeth hardwick, fiction, Grace Bridges, Gray Rinehart, having ideas, how to write a book, how to write a musical, how to write a novel, how to write a plot, inspiration, literature, mamma mia, musicals, My Memories of a Future Life, novels, oscars, Planning, plots, plotting, podcast, Port Yonder Press, publishing, Roz Morris, self-publishing, Shannon Elizabeth Hardwick, video, writing, writing a novel - Nail Your Novel, Writing Characters Who'll Keep Readers Captivated: Nail Your Novel, writing life, Writing Plots With Drama, Depth & Heart
- Join 26,172 other subscribers
- ‘The sound of a typewriter brings me happiness’ – historical fiction and non-fiction author Cordelia Biddle @AuthorBiddle January 17, 2023
- Let nothing stop you finishing your book – interview with Joanna Penn @thecreativepenn January 11, 2023
- Easy reading is hard writing – why hard writing is worth it and how to do it January 8, 2023
- Audiobook lovers, lend me your ears December 1, 2022
- Thriller writers – your first pages: 5 more book openings critiqued by @agentpete @anniesummerlee and me! November 29, 2022
- ‘When creative is your job title, you have to keep earning it’ – author, poet, sculptor and memoirist Guinotte Wise @noirbut November 20, 2022
- How do you make a career with your writing? Lessons from several years of author interviews November 11, 2022
- Join 26,172 other subscribers