- Books for writers
- FAQ: I’m a new writer: which book should I read first?
- FREE Nail Your Novel Instant Fix: 100 Tips For Fascinating Characters
- My writing process: the picture tour
- Nail Your Novel: A Companion Workbook
- Nail Your Novel: Why Writers Abandon Books and how you can Draft, Fix and Finish With Confidence
- Reviews of Nail Your Novel
- Who’s tweeting about Nail Your Novel …
- Writing Characters Who’ll Keep Readers Captivated: Nail Your Novel
- Writing Plots With Drama, Depth & Heart: Nail Your Novel
- Email me
Posts Tagged characters and music
Although our medium is words, our inspirations don’t have to be. In this episode, we talk about ways to use pictures and music to help our writing along. This was such a creative episode – storyboards to help map out plots, collecting photos of strangers who suggest mental images of our characters. And music – so much to say about that. (As you’ll know if you’ve seen my blog series The Undercover Soundtrack.)
Asking the questions is independent bookseller Peter Snell. Answering them is me!
Stream from the widget below or go to our Mixcloud page and binge the whole lot.
PS If you’d like more concentrated writing advice, try my Nail Your Novel books, especially my workbook, which includes prompts to help you build your own personal inspirational library. If you’re curious about my own creative writing, find novels here and my travel memoir here. And if you’re curious about what’s going on at my own writing desk, find my latest newsletter here and subscribe to future updates here.
art for writing, audio, authors and music, being inspired, can music help you write, characters and music, classical music for writing, developing your story with music, free podcast, free podcast for writers, music for writers, music for writing, photos, pictures to help you write, So You Want To Be A Writer, storyboard your plot, The Undercover Soundtrack, undercover soundtrack, writers and music
‘The more I wrote, the more my novel seemed to vibrate with meaning and questions. I found these fascinating but they could have drowned the book, whereas most of all I wanted to tell a mysterious story. It was music that kept me straight.’
Today I’m at Writers & Artists, talking about a subject that will be somewhat familiar to regulars here – writing with music. They were fascinated by the concept of Undercover Soundtracks, and asked me to explain to their readers.
(And would it be gauche of me to do a happy dance because my creative salon is being featured on Bloomsbury’s writing blog… Look where you might end up if you start a series just because you want to. Have a great weekend. x)
authors, Bloomsbury, characters and music, deepen your story, fiction, ghostwriting, having ideas, how to write a book, how to write a novel, inspiration, interview, literary fiction, literature, music and setting, music and stories, music and writing, My Memories of a Future Life, novels, publishing, Roz Morris, self-publishing, The Undercover Soundtrack, undercover soundtrack, using music to create a character, using music to write, Writers & Artists, writing, writing a novel - Nail Your Novel, Writing Characters Who'll Keep Readers Captivated: Nail Your Novel, writing life, Writing Plots With Drama, Depth & Heart, writing to music
- Join 26,173 other subscribers
- ‘The sound of a typewriter brings me happiness’ – historical fiction and non-fiction author Cordelia Biddle @AuthorBiddle January 17, 2023
- Let nothing stop you finishing your book – interview with Joanna Penn @thecreativepenn January 11, 2023
- Easy reading is hard writing – why hard writing is worth it and how to do it January 8, 2023
- Audiobook lovers, lend me your ears December 1, 2022
- Thriller writers – your first pages: 5 more book openings critiqued by @agentpete @anniesummerlee and me! November 29, 2022
- ‘When creative is your job title, you have to keep earning it’ – author, poet, sculptor and memoirist Guinotte Wise @noirbut November 20, 2022
- How do you make a career with your writing? Lessons from several years of author interviews November 11, 2022
- Join 26,173 other subscribers