- Email me
- Nail Your Novel: books
- FAQ: I’m a new writer: which book should I read first?
- FREE Nail Your Novel Instant Fix: 100 Tips For Fascinating Characters
- My writing process: the picture tour
- Nail Your Novel: A Companion Workbook
- Nail Your Novel: Why Writers Abandon Books and how you can Draft, Fix and Finish With Confidence
- Reviews of Nail Your Novel
- Who’s tweeting about Nail Your Novel …
- Writing Characters Who’ll Keep Readers Captivated: Nail Your Novel
- Writing Plots With Drama, Depth & Heart: Nail Your Novel
- Who am I?
Posts Tagged ghouls
My guest this week sets his novels in a place that is playful and unsettling – a dark, broken place full of clang and clamour. Most suitable for this spooky time of year. He credits this atmosphere to the influence of two musicians – Zoe Keating and Tom Waits. Music seeps through the book’s pores: in a character name (‘Strumgut’), the title (Ghoulish Song), and the mad, sorcerous physics that ensure a bridge does what a bridge should do. He is US National Book Award winner William Alexander and he’s on the Red Blog with his impish Undercover Soundtrack.
Brief hiatus: I’m ducking away from digital life for a short while. In the meantime I’ve prepared a stack of useful writing links to share on my Twitter feed @NailYourNovel. You can also see them streamed here in the ever-growing sidebar. Back soon!
authors, deepen your story, fantasy, fiction, Ghoulish Song, ghouls, goblins, halloween, having ideas, how to write a book, how to write a novel, music, music for writing, My Memories of a Future Life, publishing, Roz Morris, spooky, The Undercover Soundtrack, Tom Waits, undercover soundtrack, William Alexander, writing, writing a novel - Nail Your Novel, Writing Characters Who'll Keep Readers Captivated: Nail Your Novel, writing life, Writing Plots With Drama, Depth & Heart, writing to music, Zoe Keating
- How to write books for children and young adults – Ep42 FREE podcast for authors August 4, 2020
- What’s on an author’s bookshelf? Ep 41 FREE podcast for writers July 23, 2020
- How to write a sequel – and when not to. Ep 40 FREE podcast for authors July 22, 2020
- Music, summer, 1990s Camden – The Undercover Soundtrack, Guy Mankowski @GMankow July 16, 2020
- How I became an author – interview on inspirational authors podcast July 13, 2020
- ‘What you do with difficult ideas is turn them into art’ – an interview with Mat Osman @matosman July 12, 2020
- How to write your memoir – Ep39 FREE podcast for writers July 10, 2020