- Email me
- Nail Your Novel: books
- FAQ: I’m a new writer: which book should I read first?
- FREE Nail Your Novel Instant Fix: 100 Tips For Fascinating Characters
- My writing process: the picture tour
- Nail Your Novel: A Companion Workbook
- Nail Your Novel: Why Writers Abandon Books and how you can Draft, Fix and Finish With Confidence
- Reviews of Nail Your Novel
- Who’s tweeting about Nail Your Novel …
- Writing Characters Who’ll Keep Readers Captivated: Nail Your Novel
- Writing Plots With Drama, Depth & Heart: Nail Your Novel
- Who am I?
Posts Tagged how I became a writer
When I was a kid, I desperately wanted an artistic life. But I lived in a small village in the north of England, where the arts weren’t something you did. Moreover, I didn’t realise that was what I truly wanted, but somehow, I was aiming for it anyway. Complicated.
That journey, from arty misfit to working author, is what I’m talking about on this interview for the Alliance of Independent Authors. The host, Howard Lovy, is fascinated by authors’ origin stories – how we start, what makes us tick, how we discover who we should be, how we find our groove.
We talk about lucky meetings that shaped my future, influential school teachers, finding places I fitted (and didn’t), why my English literature degree was not my finest hour, becoming a ghostwriter – and shaking off that ghost to discover who I should really be. Do come over.
PS Coming bang up to date, here’s how the current novel is doing
- From literary journal to 10 books a year – interview with Jessica Bell @msbessiebell of Vine Leaves Press @VineLeavesPress November 19, 2020
- What movies get wrong – and right – about authors. And Elizabeth Taylor: Ep47 FREE podcast for writers November 18, 2020
- The panic document – when you fear your book has a major flaw, how to diagnose what’s really wrong November 8, 2020
- Nanowrimo prep – plan your characters, improvise your plot October 14, 2020
- Critiquing a friend’s book… how do you tell them it doesn’t work? October 11, 2020
- What to call your characters and places – Ep 46 FREE podcast for writers October 6, 2020
- How to write the difficult second novel. And why it’s difficult. Ep 45 FREE podcast for writers September 20, 2020