- Email me
- Nail Your Novel: books
- FAQ: I’m a new writer: which book should I read first?
- My writing process: the picture tour
- Nail Your Novel: Why Writers Abandon Books and how you can Draft, Fix and Finish With Confidence
- Reviews of Nail Your Novel
- Who’s tweeting about Nail Your Novel …
- Writing Characters Who’ll Keep Readers Captivated: Nail Your Novel
- Writing Plots With Drama, Depth & Heart: Nail Your Novel
- Who am I?
Posts Tagged indie
My guest this week was an award-winning horror genre writer, but turned indie to try to write the sort of novel he loved to read. For several years he published nothing while he struggled with his new challenge – a high-octane blend of suspense, swagger, humour and romance. Looking for a way to humanise an unlikable hero he found a guiding light in Rod Stewart’s interpretations of American classics – a rocker thug who’d matured with surprising tenderness. He is Reb MacRath and he’s on the Red Blog today with the Undercover Soundtrack for Southern Scotch.
american classics, authors, comedy, deepen your story, fiction, genre writer, having ideas, horror genre, how to write a book, how to write a novel, independent publishing, indie, inspiration, Kindle, music, music for writing, My Memories of a Future Life, novels, publishing, Reb MacRath, Rod Stewart, romance, Roz Morris, self-publishing, Southern Scotch, suspense, The Undercover Soundtrack, undercover soundtrack, writing, writing a novel - Nail Your Novel, Writing Characters Who'll Keep Readers Captivated: Nail Your Novel, writing life, Writing Plots With Drama, Depth & Heart, writing to music
Are you fed up with established, old-school-published writers complaining about self-publishing bloggers in the national press? I think it’s time we celebrated the well-informed, curious, generous, adventurous, innovative, pioneering, rule-busting community we’ve built with all our blogs, websites, podcasts, Facebook groups etc. If you think so too, come over to Authors Electric, where I’m posting today, and say ‘aye’.
(Or if that’s a click too far, say it here :) )
authors, Authors Electric, bloggers, blogging, blogging for authors, blogging for writers, Do Authors Dream of Electric Books?, Ewan Morrison, fiction, how to blog, how to write a novel, indie, indie authors, indie publishers, indie publishing, indies, literature, My Memories of a Future Life, novels, publishing, Roz Morris, self-publishing, writer blogs, writing, writing blogs, Writing Characters Who'll Keep Readers Captivated: Nail Your Novel, writing life, Writing Plots With Drama, Depth & Heart
I’m guesting today at Kindle Authors UK, a group of professional authors who are bringing out indie projects on the Kindle. We’re from a wide sweep of genres, sometimes trying new pieces outside our established brand, sometimes republishing works that have fallen out of print, sometimes bringing out the novels that agents have battled for but found too difficult to place.
This is such an exciting time in publishing and together we’re hoping to raise the profile of indie authors and show everyone what we can do! Do hop over – and in the meantime I’m preparing a proper writing post for tomorrow.
My Memories of a Future Life: a novel in 4 novellas: first episode, 30 August
Authors Electric, genre, genre bending, how to write a novel, indie, indie publishing, Kindle, Kindle Authors UK, My Memories of a Future Life, publishing, Roz Morris, self-publishing, writing business, Writing Characters Who'll Keep Readers Captivated: Nail Your Novel, writing life, Writing Plots With Drama, Depth & Heart
I post 4 to 5 useful writing links per day… and other stuffMy Tweets
- ‘Music that seeps beneath your skin, then grows’ – The Undercover Soundtrack, Andrew Lowe June 30, 2015
- Three signs that your novel has too many main characters – and what to do June 28, 2015
- ‘Music and love transform your internal landscape’ – The Undercover Soundtrack, Louisa Treger June 24, 2015
- How to write dialogue that’s convincing and full of life June 21, 2015
- ‘Sleaze, self-obsession and sentimentality’ – The Undercover Soundtrack, Garry Craig Powell June 17, 2015
- ‘Janys in Venice, Tina in Canada, EJ in New Mexico…’ – global audience for our writing radio show June 16, 2015
- How I cope with writers’ RSI – and when your books come back to haunt you June 14, 2015
Sign up for my newsletter
See what I did there…