- Email me
- Nail Your Novel: books
- FAQ: I’m a new writer: which book should I read first?
- FREE Nail Your Novel Instant Fix: 100 Tips For Fascinating Characters
- My writing process: the picture tour
- Nail Your Novel: A Companion Workbook
- Nail Your Novel: Why Writers Abandon Books and how you can Draft, Fix and Finish With Confidence
- Reviews of Nail Your Novel
- Who’s tweeting about Nail Your Novel …
- Writing Characters Who’ll Keep Readers Captivated: Nail Your Novel
- Writing Plots With Drama, Depth & Heart: Nail Your Novel
- Who am I?
Posts Tagged Iron Maiden
‘The moment of making the first sound or writing the first word is special’ – The Undercover Soundtrack, Pete Lockett
My guest this week is a percussionist who has worked with an astonishing list of world-class musicians, a list to make any music fan giddy – Bjork, Peter Gabriel, Robert Plant, Dido, Bill Bruford, Jeff Beck, Ustad Zakir Hussain, The Verve, Texas, Trans-Global Underground, Nelly Furtado, Lee Scratch Perry, Primal Scream, Damien Rice, Dave Weckl, Thomas Lang, Jarvis Cocker, Craig Armstrong – and more. Trust me, at some point you’ve had him in your headphones. He found that his music fuelled a desire to write a novel, and after a good gig he would rush back to his hotel room, eager to pour out the next chapter. He says he wanted to take a simple starting point and construct an epic journey that ventured outside the normal – bringing together birth, death, the afterlife, reincarnation and immortality into new coherence, and echoing the journey he takes when working with musicians. The result is A Survivor’s Guide to Eternity; he is Pete Lockett and he’s on the Red Blog with his Undercover Soundtrack. Pinch me, someone.
A R Rahman, A Survivor's Guide to Eternity, Amy Winehouse, authors, Bill Bruford, Bjork, Craig Armstrong, Damien Rice, Dave Weckl, Desert Island Discs, Dido, Errol Brown, fantasy, fiction, Hari Haran, having ideas, how to write a book, how to write a novel, Iron Maiden, Jarvis Cocker, Jeff Beck, Kodo, Lee Scratch Perry, male writers, Mel C, music, music for writers, music for writing, musicians, My Memories of a Future Life, Nail Your Novel, Nelly Furtado, Nicko McBrain, outside of this community, percussionist, Pet Shop Boys, Pete Lockett, Peter Gabriel, playlist for writers, Primal Scream, reincarnation, Robert Plant, Ronan Keating, Rory Gallagher, Roz Morris, Sinead O'Connor, Survivor, Texas, The Undercover Soundtrack, The Verve, Thomas Lang, Trans-Global Underground, U Shrinivas, undercover soundtrack, Ustad Zakir Hussain, Vanessa-Mae, world-class musicians, writers, writing, Writing Characters Who'll Keep Readers Captivated: Nail Your Novel, Writing Plots With Drama, Depth & Heart, writing to music
- Nanowrimo prep – plan your characters, improvise your plot October 14, 2020
- Critiquing a friend’s book… how do you tell them it doesn’t work? October 11, 2020
- What to call your characters and places – Ep 46 FREE podcast for writers October 6, 2020
- How to write the difficult second novel. And why it’s difficult. Ep 45 FREE podcast for writers September 20, 2020
- How to – and how not to – run an online writing community. And publishing post Covid. Interview with literary agent Peter Cox of @Litopia @agentPete September 13, 2020
- How to write a synopsis if you hate writing synopses September 6, 2020
- I’ve written a book – what now? Ep44 FREE podcast for authors September 4, 2020