- Email me
- Nail Your Novel: books
- FAQ: I’m a new writer: which book should I read first?
- FREE Nail Your Novel Instant Fix: 100 Tips For Fascinating Characters
- My writing process: the picture tour
- Nail Your Novel: A Companion Workbook
- Nail Your Novel: Why Writers Abandon Books and how you can Draft, Fix and Finish With Confidence
- Reviews of Nail Your Novel
- Who’s tweeting about Nail Your Novel …
- Writing Characters Who’ll Keep Readers Captivated: Nail Your Novel
- Writing Plots With Drama, Depth & Heart: Nail Your Novel
- Who am I?
Posts Tagged La Cage Aux Folles
My guest this week says her first novels were fuelled by nostalgia and the past. She wrote them while living in a small market town in England, and harking back to her former homes in California and Ireland. Her soundtrack connects her back to those places and their people. Traditional emigrant songs that remind her of stoic characters in her family, while the gay anthem of La Cage Aux Folles is symbolic of friends in the LBGTQ community and her themes of loyalty and personal autonomy. There’s also a special place for the BBC shipping forecast, which she used to listen to in bed as a child, finding poetry in its strange names. She is Orna Ross – and she’s on the Red Blog with her Undercover Soundtrack.
After The Rising, Alliance of Independent Authors, authors, BBC Shipping Forecast, Before The Fall, California, Carol Ann Duffy, Cheshire, contemporary fiction, Cyndi Lauper, Desert Island Discs, early 20th century Ireland, Emmylou Harris, family loyalty, family murder mystery, gender, George M. Cohan, Ireland, Irish Civil War, Jimmy MacCarthy, Karen Matheson, Knutsford, La Cage Aux Folles, Leonard Cohen, LGBTQ, literary fiction, literary novels, Mary Black, music, music for writers, music for writing, My Memories of a Future Life, Nail Your Novel, national identity, Orna Ross, personal autonomy, playlist for writers, Rod Paterson, Ronald Binge, Roz Morris, Rufus Wainwright, San Francisco, sexual identity, Shipping Forecast, Stephen Foster, Steven and Peter Jones, The Eagles, The Pogues, The Undercover Soundtrack, undercover soundtrack, War of The Brothers, Women Writers, women's fiction, writers, writing, writing to music
- Devils for detail – dictionaries, grammar and editing considerations for authors. Ep 31 FREE podcast for writers May 26, 2020
- How to master back story – professional course at Jane Friedman May 25, 2020
- Your first pages – 5 more novel openings critiqued by a literary agent (and me!) at @Litopia May 24, 2020
- Live critique – Peter writes a story. Ep 30 FREE podcast for writers May 20, 2020
- Does a story’s protagonist have to be likable? We discuss! Ep 29 FREE podcast for writers May 19, 2020
- How to run – or join – an authors’ collective. Ep 28 FREE podcast for writers feat @triskelebooks May 17, 2020
- From fragments we build a book – Ep 27 FREE podcast course for writers May 14, 2020