- Email me
- Nail Your Novel: books
- FAQ: I’m a new writer: which book should I read first?
- FREE Nail Your Novel Instant Fix: 100 Tips For Fascinating Characters
- My writing process: the picture tour
- Nail Your Novel: A Companion Workbook
- Nail Your Novel: Why Writers Abandon Books and how you can Draft, Fix and Finish With Confidence
- Reviews of Nail Your Novel
- Who’s tweeting about Nail Your Novel …
- Writing Characters Who’ll Keep Readers Captivated: Nail Your Novel
- Writing Plots With Drama, Depth & Heart: Nail Your Novel
- Who am I?
Posts Tagged Lee Green
My guest this week describes his novel’s main character as a folk-punk protest singer in a collapsing American economy in the near future. We all know how books can transform us into the characters we are creating, and my guest temporarily became a songwriter as this book was forming, despite being (as he says) completely unmusical in real life. Alongside the prose, he built a portfolio of the main character’s songs that marked the story’s adventures and friendships. Some were inspired by musically accomplished friends; others by playing Tom Waits, Deer Tick and Bob Dylan to keep the vibe. When his publisher, Montag Press, came on board, the editor suggested more musicians for the creative mix – thus proving his views of the novel were in harmony with those of the writer. Trevor Richardson is on the Red Blog with his Undercover Soundtrack.
America, authors, Beatles, Ben Cartright, Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen, Cartright, David Rovics, Deer Tick, Desert Island Discs, dystopia, Dystopia Boy: The Unauthorized Files, folk, folk-punk, Hank Williams, Jay Calhoun, Joe Blake, Johnny High-Fives, Lee Green, main character, male writers, Montag Press, music, music for writers, music for writing, My Memories of a Future Life, Nail Your Novel, near-future, playlist for writers, post-apocalyptic, Press Black, protest singer, protest songs, punk, Roz Morris, The Drive-By Truckers, The Ramones, The Undercover Soundtrack, Thelonious Monk, They Live, Tom Waits, Trevor Richardson, undercover soundtrack, writers, writing, Writing Characters Who'll Keep Readers Captivated: Nail Your Novel, writing to music
- Where should your novel begin? Ep 37 FREE podcast for writers June 22, 2020
- How to write in the holidays and at other disrupted times – Ep 36 FREE podcast for writers June 14, 2020
- How to get followers for your blog – Ep35 FREE podcast June 10, 2020
- After the red pen – a pain-free way to tackle beta reader comments June 7, 2020
- What is writing talent? A bookseller and author-publisher discuss. Ep 34 FREE podcast for writers June 5, 2020
- What is a holiday read? A bookseller and an author-publisher discuss. Ep 33 FREE podcast for writers June 2, 2020
- The book or the film? How storytelling differs in prose and live action. Ep 32 FREE podcast for writers May 29, 2020