- Email me
- Nail Your Novel: books
- FAQ: I’m a new writer: which book should I read first?
- FREE Nail Your Novel Instant Fix: 100 Tips For Fascinating Characters
- My writing process: the picture tour
- Nail Your Novel: Why Writers Abandon Books and how you can Draft, Fix and Finish With Confidence
- Reviews of Nail Your Novel
- Who’s tweeting about Nail Your Novel …
- Writing Characters Who’ll Keep Readers Captivated: Nail Your Novel
- Writing Plots With Drama, Depth & Heart: Nail Your Novel
- Radio show
- Who am I?
Posts Tagged Mexico
Once upon a time, a schoolgirl resolved to never be a slave to music. She says she is glad this promise never lasted, because she cannot imagine having a creative life without music to guide and inspire her. Her latest work is a historical novel for young readers about the story of cacao, and features a heady soundtrack of Lana Del Rey, Cirque du Soleil and Manish Vyas. She is multipublished author Birgitte Rasine and she’s on the Red Blog with her Undercover Soundtrack.
authors, Birgitte Rasine, botanical and natural science, chocolate, Cirque du Soleil, Confession, creative life without music, Desert Dwellers, Desert Island Discs, Guatemala, historical novel, Joe bunting, Kimba Arem, Lana Del Rey, Manish Vyas, Maya, Maya civilisation, Maya jungle, Maya ruins, Mesoamerican mythology, Mexico, music, music for writers, music for writing, My Memories of a Future Life, Nail Your Novel, playlist for writers, Professor Trance, rainforest, Roz Morris, The Serpent and the Jaguar, The Seventh Crane, The Undercover Soundtrack, The Write Practice, undercover soundtrack, Verse in Arabic, Women Writers, writers, writing, Writing Characters Who'll Keep Readers Captivated: Nail Your Novel, writing to music, xocolatl, YA historical novels, YA novels, Zoozil
This week, Undercover Soundtrack day falls on Halloween – shiveringly close to Mexico’s El dia de los Muertos. And my guest has more than risen to the occasion with her award-winning literary novel The Good Cemetery Guide. It centres on a guitar-playing mortician’s son and she built his life and loved ones from reggae, Texan ballads, traditional Mexican music, Phil Collins and Robbie Williams. You’ll grin like a ghoul when you see what she took from Meatloaf. She is essayist, poet and novelist Consuelo Roland and she’s on the Red Blog, sharing her Undercover Soundtrack.
authors, cemetery guide, Consuelo Roland, Day of the Dead, deepen your story, dia de los muertos, El Día de los Muertos, fiction, good cemetery, having ideas, how to write a book, how to write a novel, inspiration, literary fiction, literature, Mexico, music for writing, My Memories of a Future Life, novels, Roz Morris, self-publishing, The Good Cemetery Guide, The Undercover Soundtrack, traditional mexican music, undercover soundtrack, writing, writing a novel - Nail Your Novel, Writing Characters Who'll Keep Readers Captivated: Nail Your Novel, writing life, Writing Plots With Drama, Depth & Heart, writing to music
My guest this week says music helped her slip away from 21st century family life into the volatile, simmering Key West of 1935. Her novel features a half-Cuban woman who goes to work for Ernest Hemingway (who himself once said he used words the way that Bach used notes). She is Erika Robuck and she’s on the Red Blog talking about the Undercover Soundtrack for Hemingway’s Girl.
1935, authors, century family, cuban woman, Erika Robuck, Ernest Hemingway, Hemingway, Hemingway's Girl, historical fiction, historical novels, how to write a novel, inspiration, Key West, literary fiction, Mexico, music for writing, My Memories of a Future Life, novels, publishing, Roz Morris, The Undercover Soundtrack, undercover soundtrack, writing, Writing Characters Who'll Keep Readers Captivated: Nail Your Novel, writing life, Writing Plots With Drama, Depth & Heart, writing to music
Le tweet …. c’est chicMy Tweets
Facebook, Pinterest, Linked In, YouTube
- ‘Freedom, broken ties and love outside of marriage’ – The Undercover Soundtrack, Diana Stevan May 27, 2016
- Avoid this plotting pitfall when writing drafts at speed May 22, 2016
- Avoid dumb plotting errors – post at Alliance of Independent Authors May 15, 2016
- ‘When I feel like a storm is raging’ – The Undercover Soundtrack, Stephanie Carroll May 12, 2016
- How to become a ghost-writer – post at Jane Friedman May 9, 2016
- One for them, one for me: ghost-writers and their soul projects May 8, 2016
- All aboard the ghost(writing) train… and get an early bird deal for my course May 7, 2016