- Books for writers
- FAQ: I’m a new writer: which book should I read first?
- FREE Nail Your Novel Instant Fix: 100 Tips For Fascinating Characters
- My writing process: the picture tour
- Nail Your Novel: A Companion Workbook
- Nail Your Novel: Why Writers Abandon Books and how you can Draft, Fix and Finish With Confidence
- Reviews of Nail Your Novel
- Who’s tweeting about Nail Your Novel …
- Writing Characters Who’ll Keep Readers Captivated: Nail Your Novel
- Writing Plots With Drama, Depth & Heart: Nail Your Novel
- Email me
Posts Tagged MG fiction
My guest this week was so young when Faber bought her first fantasy novel that her father had to sign the contract. She’s more than built on that early promise by scooping the Carnegie Medal and the Guardian prize and is so prolific that in her credits she only lists her best-known works. Her imagination has ranged everywhere, from a fantasy czarist Russia to the far future – and thrilling, evocative music has been intrinsic to all of them. She is children’s author Susan Price, and she’s on the Red Blog with a truly rich Undercover Soundtrack.
authors, award winner, award-winning author, Carnegie Medal, children's fantasy, deepen your story, Do Authors Dream of Electric Books?, evocative music, faber, fantasy, fantasy Czarist Russia, fantasy novel, Guardian award, having ideas, how to write a novel, imagination, inspiration, MG fiction, music for writing, My Memories of a Future Life, novels, publishing, Roz Morris, self-publishing, Sterkarm, Susan Price, The Undercover Soundtrack, undercover soundtrack, Writing Characters Who'll Keep Readers Captivated: Nail Your Novel, Writing Plots With Drama, Depth & Heart, writing to music
‘I look for clever, lyrical music with a twinge of melancholy’ – The Undercover Soundtrack, Catherynne M Valente
‘Music and fairyland go hand in hand’ writes my Undercover Soundtrack guest this week. After cueing up her playlist I can assure you this fairyland is not just rich and strange, but funky, cheeky, cheesy, sassy, riotous, ridiculous and whimsical. It’s hardly surprising then that her novels and poetry have been nominated for numerous awards, including the Mythopoeic, the Lambda, the Hugo, Locus, World Fantasy, and Nebula. Deeply fond of writing to music, she’s also closed the musical circle by inspiring three albums by singer/songwriter S.J. Tucker. She is Catherynne M Valente, and she’s over on the Red Blog talking about The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland In A Ship Of Her Own Making.
authors, Catherynne M Valente, deepen your story, fantasy, fiction, gaming, how to write a novel, Hugo Award, Lambda Award, literature, Locus Award, MG fiction, music, music for writers, My Memories of a Future Life, Mythopoeic Award, Nail Your Novel: Why Writers Abandon Books and How You Can Draft, Fix and Finish With Confidence, Nebula Award, novels, playlists, poetry, poets, publishing, Roz Morris, singer songwriter, SJ Tucker, The Girl Who Navigated Fairyland In a Ship of Her Own Making, The Undercover Soundtrack, undercover soundtrack, world fantasy, World Fantasy Award, writing, writing life, writing to music
- Why should anybody read about your life? The 7 Ss for writing a memoir with universal appeal September 17, 2021
- Your first pages – 5 more book openings critiqued at @Litopia by literary agent @agentpete , reader @kaylie_finn and me! September 9, 2021
- How I made my writing career – novelist and award-winning short story writer Annalisa Crawford @AnnalisaCrawf September 3, 2021
- Would Ever Rest suit your book club? Here’s a FREE book to help you decide August 20, 2021
- How much does it cost to self-publish? That depends August 8, 2021
- How I made my writing career – poet, publisher and creative writing tutor David Starkey @WhatHaiku August 4, 2021
- Making my honest art – writing and publishing literary fiction: interview at @thecreativepenn July 27, 2021