- Email me
- Nail Your Novel: books
- FAQ: I’m a new writer: which book should I read first?
- FREE Nail Your Novel Instant Fix: 100 Tips For Fascinating Characters
- My writing process: the picture tour
- Nail Your Novel: A Companion Workbook
- Nail Your Novel: Why Writers Abandon Books and how you can Draft, Fix and Finish With Confidence
- Reviews of Nail Your Novel
- Who’s tweeting about Nail Your Novel …
- Writing Characters Who’ll Keep Readers Captivated: Nail Your Novel
- Writing Plots With Drama, Depth & Heart: Nail Your Novel
- Who am I?
Posts Tagged Montreal
My guest this week says that when he writes he chooses his aural environment carefully. There’s a cafe in his native Montreal that plays just the right music: not too loud, not too unfamiliar; exactly right for random creative loosening. He attributes one of his major characters to a chance playing of Simon & Garfunkel’s Hazy Shade on Winter while he was driving on a midsummer day – the sudden meteorological transformation was exactly what he needed to start creating this pivotal player. He is YA writer JB Dutton, and he’s on the Red Blog with his Undercover Soundtrack.
Arcade Fire, authors, Blondie, Cirque du Soleil, Dalek-Beatles mixtape, Desert Island Discs, Doctor Who, Doctor Who 50th anniversary, Ernest Hemingway, fantasy, JB Dutton, John Dutton, major character, male writers, Meat Loaf, Montreal, music, music for writers, music for writing, My Memories of a Future Life, Nail Your Novel, Rd 2 Nowhere, Roz Morris, Samuel Taylor Coleridge, serialised novels, serialising fiction, Silent Symmetry, Simon and Garfunkel, Talking Heads, the Beatles, The Beatles Creating, The Beatles LOVE, The New Sense, The Undercover Soundtrack, undercover soundtrack, William S Boroughs, writers, writing, Writing Characters Who'll Keep Readers Captivated: Nail Your Novel, writing to music, young adult novels
- Our formative years, our formative music – The Undercover Soundtrack, Ricky Monahan Brown @ricky_ballboy August 15, 2020
- Getting editors, spotting mistakes, publishing across many genres and author control! 4 questions from a self-publishing conference August 9, 2020
- How to write books for children and young adults – Ep42 FREE podcast for authors August 4, 2020
- What’s on an author’s bookshelf? Ep 41 FREE podcast for writers July 23, 2020
- How to write a sequel – and when not to. Ep 40 FREE podcast for authors July 22, 2020
- Music, summer, 1990s Camden – The Undercover Soundtrack, Guy Mankowski @GMankow July 16, 2020
- How I became an author – interview on inspirational authors podcast July 13, 2020