- Email me
- Nail Your Novel: books
- FAQ: I’m a new writer: which book should I read first?
- FREE Nail Your Novel Instant Fix: 100 Tips For Fascinating Characters
- My writing process: the picture tour
- Nail Your Novel: A Companion Workbook
- Nail Your Novel: Why Writers Abandon Books and how you can Draft, Fix and Finish With Confidence
- Reviews of Nail Your Novel
- Who’s tweeting about Nail Your Novel …
- Writing Characters Who’ll Keep Readers Captivated: Nail Your Novel
- Writing Plots With Drama, Depth & Heart: Nail Your Novel
- Who am I?
Posts Tagged Negative Capability
My guest this week had a real struggle to get her novel into shape. She was used to seeking inspiration from music, but found that nothing she listened to was helping. In her head was a jumble of characters and voices, all clamouring but making no sense. Then she happened upon a video of her own daughter-in-law, singing an a capella composition of her own that layered and alternated lines from random blogs. This quirky piece gave her the courage to put her characters together – and see where the harmonies came. She is Rochelle Jewel Shapiro and she’s on the Red Blog with her Undercover Soundtrack.
a capella, authors, blogs, Brandon Memorial Literary Award, characters, Coe Review, Compass Rose, contemporary fiction, Desert Island Discs, Harold Ribelow Award, Inkwell Magazine, Karen Siegel, literary fiction, Memoir And, Moment, music, music composition, music for writers, music for writing, My Memories of a Future Life, Nail Your Novel, Negative Capability, New York Times, Newsweek, Pennsylvania English, playlist for writers, Rochelle Jewel Shapiro, Rochelle Shapiro, Roz Morris, She Writes, Shebooks, The Carolina Review, the Griffin, the Iowa Review, the Los Angeles Review, the MacGuffin, The Undercover Soundtrack, UCLA, UCLA Extension, UCLA tutor, undercover soundtrack, vocalists, Women Writers, women's fiction, writers, writing, writing to music
- The book or the film? How storytelling differs in prose and live action. Ep 32 FREE podcast for writers May 29, 2020
- Devils for detail – dictionaries, grammar and editing considerations for authors. Ep 31 FREE podcast for writers May 26, 2020
- How to master back story – professional course at Jane Friedman May 25, 2020
- Your first pages – 5 more novel openings critiqued by a literary agent (and me!) at @Litopia May 24, 2020
- Live critique – Peter writes a story. Ep 30 FREE podcast for writers May 20, 2020
- Does a story’s protagonist have to be likable? We discuss! Ep 29 FREE podcast for writers May 19, 2020
- How to run – or join – an authors’ collective. Ep 28 FREE podcast for writers feat @triskelebooks May 17, 2020