- Email me
- Nail Your Novel: books
- FAQ: I’m a new writer: which book should I read first?
- FREE Nail Your Novel Instant Fix: 100 Tips For Fascinating Characters
- My writing process: the picture tour
- Nail Your Novel: A Companion Workbook
- Nail Your Novel: Why Writers Abandon Books and how you can Draft, Fix and Finish With Confidence
- Reviews of Nail Your Novel
- Who’s tweeting about Nail Your Novel …
- Writing Characters Who’ll Keep Readers Captivated: Nail Your Novel
- Writing Plots With Drama, Depth & Heart: Nail Your Novel
- Who am I?
Posts Tagged pirate fiction
My guest this week used to regard music as a mostly-ignorable atmosphere. Then one inspirational moment changed everything. She was listening to Mike Oldfield when a character leaped, fully formed, into her imagination – an enigmatic pirate of the Caribbean, skilled with a cutlass and a roguish smile. This character also proved a turning point in her career, as her agent advised her that the adult readership did not want stories about pirates. But so strong was her conviction about the character that she wrote him anyway – and thus her indie career was born. She is Helen Hollick, her novels are the Sea Witch series, and she’s on the Red Blog with her Undercover Soundtrack. All say ‘arrr’.
authors, Avalon Graphics, Bronwen Harrison, Desert Island Discs, Enigma, Helen Hollick, historical fiction, inspirational moment, Jesamiah Acorne, Loreena McKennitt, Mike Oldfield, music, music for writers, music for writing, My Memories of a Future Life, Nail Your Novel, pirate adventures, pirate fiction, pirate novels, pirate stories, pirates, Pirates of the Caribbean, playlist for writers, Roz Morris, Sea Witch, soundtrack to Last of the Mohicans, soundtrack to Master and Commander, soundtracks, The Undercover Soundtrack, undercover soundtrack, USA Today bestseller, Women Writers, writers, writing, Writing Characters Who'll Keep Readers Captivated: Nail Your Novel, writing to music
- How to – and how not to – run an online writing community. And publishing post Covid. Interview with literary agent Peter Cox of @Litopia @agentPete September 13, 2020
- How to write a synopsis if you hate writing synopses September 6, 2020
- I’ve written a book – what now? Ep44 FREE podcast for authors September 4, 2020
- Should you let anyone read your book before you’ve finished? Ep43 FREE podcast for writers August 20, 2020
- Your first pages – 5 more novel openings critiqued by a literary agent (and me!) at @Litopia August 16, 2020
- Our formative years, our formative music – The Undercover Soundtrack, Ricky Monahan Brown @ricky_ballboy August 15, 2020
- Getting editors, spotting mistakes, publishing across many genres and author control! 4 questions from a self-publishing conference August 9, 2020