- Books for writers
- FAQ: I’m a new writer: which book should I read first?
- FREE Nail Your Novel Instant Fix: 100 Tips For Fascinating Characters
- My writing process: the picture tour
- Nail Your Novel: A Companion Workbook
- Nail Your Novel: Why Writers Abandon Books and how you can Draft, Fix and Finish With Confidence
- Reviews of Nail Your Novel
- Who’s tweeting about Nail Your Novel …
- Writing Characters Who’ll Keep Readers Captivated: Nail Your Novel
- Writing Plots With Drama, Depth & Heart: Nail Your Novel
- Email me
Posts Tagged playwright
Before words. Before thought or language. My guest this week spends his professional life challenged by the reflexes and intricacies of the long-ago brain. By day he is an anaesthetist; an inducer of sleep and guardian of the unconscious. Sometimes that’s more eventful than you’d think. By night he is a poet and a playwright. His latest book fuses night and day in a memoir of his profession. He is Wolf Pascoe and he’s sharing his Undercover Soundtrack at the Red Blog.
anaesthesia, anaesthetics, anaesthetist, anaesthetists, authors, Breathing for Two, deepen your story, fiction, hospitals, how to write a book, how to write a novel, inducer, intricacies, literature, medical, medicine, music for writing, My Memories of a Future Life, OR, pascoe, physician, playwright, poet, poetic meditation, poetic memoir, professional life, reflexes, Roz Morris, self-publishing, The Undercover Soundtrack, undercover soundtrack, Wolf Pascoe, writing, Writing Characters Who'll Keep Readers Captivated: Nail Your Novel, writing life, Writing Plots With Drama, Depth & Heart, writing to music
‘Friendship, betrayal and making sense of the past’ – The Undercover Soundtrack, Catherine Czerkawska
You may recognise the name of my guest this week. She was one of my earliest Soundtrackers and she returns this week with a novel of friendship and betrayal: a man looking back on his youth and making sense of a troubled history. It’s set in Glasgow, and traditional Scottish music gave her both geographical setting and emotional landscape: the depth in apparent simplicity, the universal condition of loving and losing. She is novelist and award-winning playwright Catherine Czerkawska; the novel is The Physic Garden and she’s on the Red Blog with its Undercover Soundtrack.
apparent simplicity, authors, Catherine Czerkawska, deepen your story, emotional landscape, fiction, Glasgow, how to write a novel, inspiration, literary fiction, literature, music, music for writing, My Memories of a Future Life, novelist, novels, playwright, Roz Morris, Scotland, Scottish traditional music, self-publishing, The Physic Garden, The Undercover Soundtrack, traditional scottish music, undercover soundtrack, universal condition, writing, writing a novel - Nail Your Novel, Writing Characters Who'll Keep Readers Captivated: Nail Your Novel, writing life, Writing Plots With Drama, Depth & Heart, writing to music
‘Music and creativity is for everyone – and life can be a musical’ – The Undercover Soundtrack, Cally Phillips
My guest this week has always made up lyrics, whether alternate versions of existing songs or not-terribly-serious inventions of her own. She says she wishes life was more like a musical, where people might burst out singing if the fancy takes them. Her deep-held belief that life should be lived with lusty vocals led to a collaboration with a theatre group for adults with learning disabilities, and, by circular means, a novel that commemorates the experience – A Week With No Labels. She is screenwriter, playwright and novelist Cally Phillips and she’s on the Red Blog with her very individual Undercover Soundtrack.
A Week With No Labels, adults with learning disabilities, alternate versions, authors, Authors Electric, belief that, Cally Phillips, comedy, Do Authors Dream of Electric Books?, fiction, how to write a novel, inspiration, inventions, learning disabilities theatre group, music for writing, musical theatre, My Memories of a Future Life, novelist, phillips, playwright, publishing, Roz Morris, screenwriter, self-publishing, The Undercover Soundtrack, theatre group, undercover soundtrack, unexpected paths, writing, writing a novel - Nail Your Novel, Writing Characters Who'll Keep Readers Captivated: Nail Your Novel, writing life, Writing Plots With Drama, Depth & Heart, writing to music
- Ghostwriting, writer’s block, researching a novel … and training a horse. Interview at @officialSNWfest April 17, 2021
- Learn advanced self-editing techniques in a 3-part masterclass April 13, 2021
- A world in a word – 3 ways your vocabulary can increase reader belief April 11, 2021
- How I made my writing career – writing coach, novelist and memoirist Gina Troisi @Troisi_Gina April 4, 2021
- “Ever Rest” by Roz Morris March 27, 2021
- I wrote a trauma recovery memoir in lockdown – what now? March 21, 2021
- How to organise events for selling your books – Ep49 FREE podcast for writers March 11, 2021