- Books for writers
- FAQ: I’m a new writer: which book should I read first?
- FREE Nail Your Novel Instant Fix: 100 Tips For Fascinating Characters
- My writing process: the picture tour
- Nail Your Novel: A Companion Workbook
- Nail Your Novel: Why Writers Abandon Books and how you can Draft, Fix and Finish With Confidence
- Reviews of Nail Your Novel
- Who’s tweeting about Nail Your Novel …
- Writing Characters Who’ll Keep Readers Captivated: Nail Your Novel
- Writing Plots With Drama, Depth & Heart: Nail Your Novel
- Email me
Posts Tagged psychological thrillers
Murder ballads and psychological thrillers? Surely it was only a matter of time before a writer put themselves under the influence of Nick Cave. My guest this week used music as his portable aural office, banishing the sounds of his fellow rail passengers on his daily commute to immerse in shady characters. Sometimes he scared the real-world folks in the carriage too. He is Ruby Barnes and he’s on the Red Blog talking about his novel The Baptist and its Undercover Soundtrack.
authors, deepen your story, how to write a novel, matter of time, Murder Ballads, music for writing, My Memories of a Future Life, Nick Cave, novels, psychological thrillers, rail passengers, Roz Morris, Ruby Barnes, serial killers, shady characters, The Baptist, The Undercover Soundtrack, thrillers, undercover soundtrack, world folks, Writing Characters Who'll Keep Readers Captivated: Nail Your Novel, writing life, Writing Plots With Drama, Depth & Heart, writing to music
My guest this week set her psychological thriller in a music conservatoire. Two pieces of music brought the book to life for her – a Schubert song with a beguilingly vulnerable female vocal, and a Rachmaninov sonata that turned out to have an illuminating link with Goethe’s Faust. She is Niki Valentine and she’s on the Red Blog today talking about the Undercover Soundtrack to her novel Possessed.
authors, Black Swan, deepen your story, fiction, having ideas, how to write a novel, music, music for writing, My Memories of a Future Life, novels, psychological thrillers, publishing, Roz Morris, The Undercover Soundtrack, thrillers, undercover soundtrack, Writing Characters Who'll Keep Readers Captivated: Nail Your Novel, writing life, Writing Plots With Drama, Depth & Heart, writing to music
- ‘A space in which language can play and find itself’ – talking about slow discovery writing with poet Rishi Dastidar @BetaRish June 20, 2022
- What do we most want as writers? June 12, 2022
- ‘I just keep making things’ – Melanie Faith @writer_faith on patience, fulfilment and the long game in art May 31, 2022
- The push-pull in a person’s soul – how to keep readers desperately hooked. Interview with Mary Kole @Kid_Lit May 25, 2022
- Do androids dream of electric horses? Creating the future – interview about Lifeform Three at @AuthorsElectric @AuthorKatherine May 22, 2022
- Two opportunities for shortform writers, a treat for music lovers and a little interview May 10, 2022
- Writers, can you feel it? How to use gut feeling to guide your work May 9, 2022