- Email me
- Nail Your Novel: books
- FAQ: I’m a new writer: which book should I read first?
- FREE Nail Your Novel Instant Fix: 100 Tips For Fascinating Characters
- My writing process: the picture tour
- Nail Your Novel: A Companion Workbook
- Nail Your Novel: Why Writers Abandon Books and how you can Draft, Fix and Finish With Confidence
- Reviews of Nail Your Novel
- Who’s tweeting about Nail Your Novel …
- Writing Characters Who’ll Keep Readers Captivated: Nail Your Novel
- Writing Plots With Drama, Depth & Heart: Nail Your Novel
- Who am I?
Posts Tagged SD Mayes
It’s been a while since I’ve had an Undercover Soundtrack guest, but that doesn’t mean it’s muted forever. I’ve been writing, and the soundtrack collection for my own book is almost as tall as its namesake (Everest). Meanwhile, I’ve bumped into a few people who would be perfect guests and this week you can meet the first of them – SD Mayes. Her novel is called Letters To The Pianist, which you’ll probably agree makes her the perfect first act for the second act of this series. Letters To The Pianist is set in the London of World War II and draws heavily on the author’s own family history. Music was a route map for the key emotions of the characters – from fantasy escape, feelings of teenage inadequacy and the feelings of wild abandon that come from communion with an instrument. Hop to the Red Blog to hear more.
classical music for writing, creativity, historical fiction, how authors work, how writers work, Letters To the Pianist, London, SD Mayes, stories set in London, The Undercover Soundtrack, twentieth century, wartime London, writing with music
- 7 ways to write with confidence – guest post at Ingram Spark March 15, 2019
- Ways of seeing: 11 poets to help you polish your prose – an interview March 13, 2019
- How to choose a creative writing degree – the honest truth February 28, 2019
- It’s a workbook! Unlock your book’s full potential and finish like a pro February 27, 2019
- Because I started a blog – 10 years as an accidental citizen of cyberspace February 10, 2019
- Should you take a creative writing degree? The honest truth. An interview January 27, 2019
- Are you bored? One writing rule you really need January 13, 2019