- Email me
- Nail Your Novel: books
- FAQ: I’m a new writer: which book should I read first?
- FREE Nail Your Novel Instant Fix: 100 Tips For Fascinating Characters
- My writing process: the picture tour
- Nail Your Novel: A Companion Workbook
- Nail Your Novel: Why Writers Abandon Books and how you can Draft, Fix and Finish With Confidence
- Reviews of Nail Your Novel
- Who’s tweeting about Nail Your Novel …
- Writing Characters Who’ll Keep Readers Captivated: Nail Your Novel
- Writing Plots With Drama, Depth & Heart: Nail Your Novel
- Who am I?
Posts Tagged Stephen Weinstock Soundtrack
You can’t read much about writing advice before you trip over an essay about story structure, and how it works invisible magic on the reader. My guest this week has used sophisticated musical structures as the skeleton of his fantasy series, a series of nested reincarnation tales inspired by The Thousand and One Nights – and his influences range from Alban Berg to Frank Zappa. For him, music does not so much conjure up a scene or a character as an entire shape, of how an idea moves into a story and where it eventually goes. He is uniquely qualified to do so, as he is a composer, pianist and dance accompanist for musical theatre with the dance faculties of UC Berkeley, Princeton, Juilliard, and the ‘Fame’ school (though he has not yet said if he is reincarnated). Stephen Weinstock is on the Red Blog with his Undercover Soundtrack.
SHORT BREAK I’ll be taking a short break from blogging but will be back with a post on 30 November.
1001: The Reincarnation Chronicles, 17th Century France, Alban Berg, authors, Desert Island Discs, fantasy, fantasy series, Frank Zappa, I Stravinsky, Igor Stravinsky, incarnation, Juilliard, lifetime, male writers, music, music for writers, music for writing, musical structures, musical theatre, My Memories of a Future Life, Nail Your Novel, playlist for writers, Princeton, reincarnation, Roz Morris, speculative fiction, Stephen Sondheim, Stephen Weinstock, Stephen Weinstock Soundtrack, story structure, tales, The Flood, The Thousand and One Nights, The Undercover Soundtrack, UC Berkeley, undercover soundtrack, Wozzeck, writers, writing, Writing Characters Who'll Keep Readers Captivated: Nail Your Novel, writing to music
- Criticism for your writing – how to seek it, how to take it: Ep 16 FREE podcast for writers April 9, 2020
- Using pictures and music to inspire your writing – Ep 15 FREE podcast for writers April 8, 2020
- Writing resolutions – making them and keeping them – Ep 14 FREE podcast for writers April 6, 2020
- Masterclass in writing style and voice – Ep13 FREE podcast for writers April 2, 2020
- All about reading groups and writing groups – Ep12 FREE podcast for writers March 31, 2020
- All about character arcs – Ep 11 FREE podcast for writers March 30, 2020
- Masterclass in titles, book covers and spines – Ep 10 FREE podcast for writers March 29, 2020