- Email me
- Nail Your Novel: books
- FAQ: I’m a new writer: which book should I read first?
- FREE Nail Your Novel Instant Fix: 100 Tips For Fascinating Characters
- My writing process: the picture tour
- Nail Your Novel: A Companion Workbook
- Nail Your Novel: Why Writers Abandon Books and how you can Draft, Fix and Finish With Confidence
- Reviews of Nail Your Novel
- Who’s tweeting about Nail Your Novel …
- Writing Characters Who’ll Keep Readers Captivated: Nail Your Novel
- Writing Plots With Drama, Depth & Heart: Nail Your Novel
- Who am I?
Posts Tagged Steven and Peter Jones
My guest this week says her first novels were fuelled by nostalgia and the past. She wrote them while living in a small market town in England, and harking back to her former homes in California and Ireland. Her soundtrack connects her back to those places and their people. Traditional emigrant songs that remind her of stoic characters in her family, while the gay anthem of La Cage Aux Folles is symbolic of friends in the LBGTQ community and her themes of loyalty and personal autonomy. There’s also a special place for the BBC shipping forecast, which she used to listen to in bed as a child, finding poetry in its strange names. She is Orna Ross – and she’s on the Red Blog with her Undercover Soundtrack.
After The Rising, Alliance of Independent Authors, authors, BBC Shipping Forecast, Before The Fall, California, Carol Ann Duffy, Cheshire, contemporary fiction, Cyndi Lauper, Desert Island Discs, early 20th century Ireland, Emmylou Harris, family loyalty, family murder mystery, gender, George M. Cohan, Ireland, Irish Civil War, Jimmy MacCarthy, Karen Matheson, Knutsford, La Cage Aux Folles, Leonard Cohen, LGBTQ, literary fiction, literary novels, Mary Black, music, music for writers, music for writing, My Memories of a Future Life, Nail Your Novel, national identity, Orna Ross, personal autonomy, playlist for writers, Rod Paterson, Ronald Binge, Roz Morris, Rufus Wainwright, San Francisco, sexual identity, Shipping Forecast, Stephen Foster, Steven and Peter Jones, The Eagles, The Pogues, The Undercover Soundtrack, undercover soundtrack, War of The Brothers, Women Writers, women's fiction, writers, writing, writing to music
- Writers – how to find the editor that’s right for you November 10, 2019
- Writing memoir, taking control, long-term careers – talking to Victoria Dougherty about the 21st century author October 20, 2019
- What your readers will never notice… a small point about reader belief and story logic (with a little help from Terrance Dicks, Rod Hull and Nina Conti) October 13, 2019
- 7 writing resources I use all the time October 6, 2019
- My kind of weird, my kind of wonderful – interview at Davida Chazan’s blog September 11, 2019
- How to outline a novel – post at Ingram Spark September 8, 2019
- 7 swift storytelling hacks for back story, description, dialogue, exposition, point of view and plot August 18, 2019