- Email me
- Nail Your Novel: books
- FAQ: I’m a new writer: which book should I read first?
- FREE Nail Your Novel Instant Fix: 100 Tips For Fascinating Characters
- My writing process: the picture tour
- Nail Your Novel: A Companion Workbook
- Nail Your Novel: Why Writers Abandon Books and how you can Draft, Fix and Finish With Confidence
- Reviews of Nail Your Novel
- Who’s tweeting about Nail Your Novel …
- Writing Characters Who’ll Keep Readers Captivated: Nail Your Novel
- Writing Plots With Drama, Depth & Heart: Nail Your Novel
- Who am I?
Posts Tagged the Queen
‘Roz from the land of Harry Potter’ – an otherwise serious discussion of writing with John Rakestraw
When Americans interview Brits in sweltering summer heat, their thoughts turn to Harry Potter, the Beatles and the Queen. But we do also get down to serious matters. My host, John Rakestraw, had got his mitts on the characters book and wanted to quiz me about creating fictional people, killing darlings, editing, dialogue and subtext.
John was one of the earliest blogger-podcasters to pick up on Nail Your Novel. He demonstrated this by waving his copy – the primitive edition I made on Lulu when I first published it four years ago! Folks, you may overwrite your early designs and wipe the files, but you can never hide from them. (Watch for the moment when one of the other guests says ‘um, why doesn’t book 2 look like book 1…’)
Anyway, come on over to see us. And if you remember the original coffee-and-blue 6×9 edition of Nail Your Novel, give me a wave here!
authors, character building, character design, characters, characters and viewpoint, characters emotion and viewpoint, characters in search of an author, characters with secrets, darlings, fiction, fiction characters masterclass, fictional characters, great fictional characters, harry potter, host john, how to write a novel, how to write fiction, how to write fictional characters, how to write great characters, improve your novel, improve your novels characters, improve your writing, interviews, John Rakestraw, mitts, My Memories of a Future Life, podcast, podcasters, publishing, Roz Morris, subtext, sweltering summer heat, the Beatles, the Queen, writing a novel - Nail Your Novel, Writing Characters Who'll Keep Readers Captivated: Nail Your Novel, writing fiction, writing masterclass, Writing Plots With Drama, Depth & Heart, writing tutorials
- Power stations of the mind – a piece of Not Quite Lost at the Liminal Residency February 21, 2020
- ‘More life is lived in a service station than in a castle…’ – discussing the wonder of abandoned spaces with Krishan Coupland of The Liminal Residency February 16, 2020
- Hit the ground running with your first pages – 5 book openings critiqued by a literary agent (and me!) at Litopia January 19, 2020
- Story as metaphor – talking to Ann Napolitano, author of Dear Edward January 14, 2020
- Is it cheating to use a ghostwriter? January 12, 2020
- Finished Nanowrimo? 5 ways to use the holidays to keep your new writing habits… without revising too early December 8, 2019
- Writers – how to find the editor that’s right for you November 10, 2019