- Books for writers
- FAQ: I’m a new writer: which book should I read first?
- FREE Nail Your Novel Instant Fix: 100 Tips For Fascinating Characters
- My writing process: the picture tour
- Nail Your Novel: A Companion Workbook
- Nail Your Novel: Why Writers Abandon Books and how you can Draft, Fix and Finish With Confidence
- Reviews of Nail Your Novel
- Who’s tweeting about Nail Your Novel …
- Writing Characters Who’ll Keep Readers Captivated: Nail Your Novel
- Writing Plots With Drama, Depth & Heart: Nail Your Novel
- Email me
Posts Tagged the Queen
‘Roz from the land of Harry Potter’ – an otherwise serious discussion of writing with John Rakestraw
When Americans interview Brits in sweltering summer heat, their thoughts turn to Harry Potter, the Beatles and the Queen. But we do also get down to serious matters. My host, John Rakestraw, had got his mitts on the characters book and wanted to quiz me about creating fictional people, killing darlings, editing, dialogue and subtext.
John was one of the earliest blogger-podcasters to pick up on Nail Your Novel. He demonstrated this by waving his copy – the primitive edition I made on Lulu when I first published it four years ago! Folks, you may overwrite your early designs and wipe the files, but you can never hide from them. (Watch for the moment when one of the other guests says ‘um, why doesn’t book 2 look like book 1…’)
Anyway, come on over to see us. And if you remember the original coffee-and-blue 6×9 edition of Nail Your Novel, give me a wave here!
authors, character building, character design, characters, characters and viewpoint, characters emotion and viewpoint, characters in search of an author, characters with secrets, darlings, fiction, fiction characters masterclass, fictional characters, great fictional characters, harry potter, host john, how to write a novel, how to write fiction, how to write fictional characters, how to write great characters, improve your novel, improve your novels characters, improve your writing, interviews, John Rakestraw, mitts, My Memories of a Future Life, podcast, podcasters, publishing, Roz Morris, subtext, sweltering summer heat, the Beatles, the Queen, writing a novel - Nail Your Novel, Writing Characters Who'll Keep Readers Captivated: Nail Your Novel, writing fiction, writing masterclass, Writing Plots With Drama, Depth & Heart, writing tutorials
- We are full of messy multitudes: how I made my writing career – Alexis Paige @lexissima January 27, 2022
- Your first pages – 5 more book openings critiqued by literary agent @agentpete , writer @simnett and me! January 25, 2022
- Device addiction, how we treat ‘others’, and a love of horses – talking to @authorgreene about World Fantasy Award longlisted Lifeform Three January 23, 2022
- Standalone or series? Get started with this course at @JaneFriedman January 18, 2022
- No luck submitting my book to agents and publishers – should I hire a different editor? January 9, 2022
- The resilient mindset, overcoming blocks and living every moment of the creative journey – interview at @insideyourhead0 December 19, 2021
- Learning by doing: how I made my writing career – Nick Padron @nfpadron December 14, 2021