- Books for writers
- FAQ: I’m a new writer: which book should I read first?
- FREE Nail Your Novel Instant Fix: 100 Tips For Fascinating Characters
- My writing process: the picture tour
- Nail Your Novel: A Companion Workbook
- Nail Your Novel: Why Writers Abandon Books and how you can Draft, Fix and Finish With Confidence
- Reviews of Nail Your Novel
- Who’s tweeting about Nail Your Novel …
- Writing Characters Who’ll Keep Readers Captivated: Nail Your Novel
- Writing Plots With Drama, Depth & Heart: Nail Your Novel
- Email me
Posts Tagged Van Morrison
My guest this week is another writer with music in his very bones. His novel features four friends who keep their troubled lives on an even keel by singing in a quartet, and is inspired by his own experiences singing bass with an an award-winning capella group. In the novel, his characters are in search of a state of harmony called The Fifth Voice, where all the hearts and minds are playing as one entity. He is Paul Connolly and he’s on the Red Blog with his Undercover Soundtrack.
a capella, authors, contemporary fiction, Desert Island Discs, Fifth Voice, friendship, John Barry, John Lennon, Kenneth Tynan, male friendship, male friendships, male writers, music, music for writers, music for writing, musicians, My Memories of a Future Life, Nail Your Novel, Paul Connolly, playlist for writers, quartets, Roz Morris, singers, the Beach Boys, the Beatles, The Fifth Voice, The Royal Harmonics, the Sergeant Pepper album, The Undercover Soundtrack, Thomas Tallis, troubled lives, undercover soundtrack, Van Morrison, vocalists, voice, writers, writing, Writing Characters Who'll Keep Readers Captivated: Nail Your Novel, writing life, writing to music
My guest this week describes her books as stories about and for the sometimes invisible women; the 1960s feminists; women in their late 40s, 50s, 60s and beyond; thinking, feeling, loving, intelligent characters who are steering their lives through choppy waters. She says she uses music as a short-cut to their inner wilderness, with signature songs that conjure their hearts and minds, even on the most uninspired days. She is Anne Stormont and she’s on the Red Blog with her Undercover Soundtrack.
1960s feminists, Anne Stormont, Arvon foundation, authors, Bat for Lashes, Blair Douglas, Cat Power, Change of Life, classical, contemporary fiction, deepen your story, Desert Island Discs, Don Maclean, Elbow, Glen Hansard, Glen Hansard and Marketa Irglova, Greg Laswell, hard rock, intelligent characters, invisible women, Lighthouse Family, Louis Armstrong, main characters, Marketa Irglova, Military Wives, mixtape, music, music for writers, music for writing, My Memories of a Future Life, Nail Your Novel, Neil Diamond, ovarian cancer, playlist for writers, Roz Morris, Rufus Wainwright, Scottish traditional, The Soldier, The Undercover Soundtrack, Tom Baxter, undercover soundtrack, Ungar and Mason, Van Morrison, Women Writers, women's fiction, women's fiction writer, writers, writing, Writing Characters Who'll Keep Readers Captivated: Nail Your Novel, writing to music
- Writers, can’t kill your darlings? Read this May 8, 2021
- Ghostwriting, writer’s block, researching a novel … and training a horse. Interview at @officialSNWfest April 17, 2021
- Learn advanced self-editing techniques in a 3-part masterclass April 13, 2021
- A world in a word – 3 ways your vocabulary can increase reader belief April 11, 2021
- How I made my writing career – writing coach, novelist and memoirist Gina Troisi @Troisi_Gina April 4, 2021
- “Ever Rest” by Roz Morris March 27, 2021
- I wrote a trauma recovery memoir in lockdown – what now? March 21, 2021