On The Undercover Soundtrack, we’re used to writers using music to summon the muse. My guest this week goes one better. One of his main characters is a computer hacker, who limbers up by listening to Vangelis’s music for the film 1492: Conquest of Paradise. In real life, the author has a lifetime’s experience in the IT industry and seems adept at opening files in people’s pasts – Dave and I used to play 1492 incessantly as background for our own writings. My guest did it again when his editor revealed she had trained as a musician, like another of his characters. He is Ian Sutherland and he’s on the Red Blog with his Undercover Soundtrack – when he’s finished hacking the pasts of his production crew and blog hosts.
Nail Your Novel – Writing, publishing and self-publishing advice from a bestselling ghostwriter and book doctor
- Email me
- Nail Your Novel: books
- FAQ: I’m a new writer: which book should I read first?
- FREE Nail Your Novel Instant Fix: 100 Tips For Fascinating Characters
- My writing process: the picture tour
- Nail Your Novel: A Companion Workbook
- Nail Your Novel: Why Writers Abandon Books and how you can Draft, Fix and Finish With Confidence
- Reviews of Nail Your Novel
- Who’s tweeting about Nail Your Novel …
- Writing Characters Who’ll Keep Readers Captivated: Nail Your Novel
- Writing Plots With Drama, Depth & Heart: Nail Your Novel
- Who am I?
‘Hacking to music’ – the Undercover Soundtrack, Ian Sutherland
- Your first pages – 5 more book openings critiqued by a literary agent (and me!) at @Litopia November 29, 2020
- From literary journal to 10 books a year – interview with Jessica Bell @msbessiebell of Vine Leaves Press @VineLeavesPress November 19, 2020
- What movies get wrong – and right – about authors. And Elizabeth Taylor: Ep47 FREE podcast for writers November 18, 2020
- The panic document – when you fear your book has a major flaw, how to diagnose what’s really wrong November 8, 2020
- Nanowrimo prep – plan your characters, improvise your plot October 14, 2020
- Critiquing a friend’s book… how do you tell them it doesn’t work? October 11, 2020
- What to call your characters and places – Ep 46 FREE podcast for writers October 6, 2020