On The Undercover Soundtrack, we’re used to writers using music to summon the muse. My guest this week goes one better. One of his main characters is a computer hacker, who limbers up by listening to Vangelis’s music for the film 1492: Conquest of Paradise. In real life, the author has a lifetime’s experience in the IT industry and seems adept at opening files in people’s pasts – Dave and I used to play 1492 incessantly as background for our own writings. My guest did it again when his editor revealed she had trained as a musician, like another of his characters. He is Ian Sutherland and he’s on the Red Blog with his Undercover Soundtrack – when he’s finished hacking the pasts of his production crew and blog hosts.
Nail Your Novel – Writing, publishing and self-publishing advice from a bestselling ghostwriter and book doctor
- Email me
- Nail Your Novel: books
- FAQ: I’m a new writer: which book should I read first?
- FREE Nail Your Novel Instant Fix: 100 Tips For Fascinating Characters
- My writing process: the picture tour
- Nail Your Novel: Why Writers Abandon Books and how you can Draft, Fix and Finish With Confidence
- Reviews of Nail Your Novel
- Who’s tweeting about Nail Your Novel …
- Writing Characters Who’ll Keep Readers Captivated: Nail Your Novel
- Writing Plots With Drama, Depth & Heart: Nail Your Novel
- Who am I?
‘Hacking to music’ – the Undercover Soundtrack, Ian Sutherland
- The real schedule of a self-published book October 22, 2017
- Man Booker, it’s time to open up literary prizes to self-published authors October 17, 2017
- Struggling to write your ending? Some pointers – guest post at Writers Helping Writers October 15, 2017
- ‘Music: where people come together to make living pieces of art’ – The Undercover Soundtrack, Kris Faatz October 14, 2017
- Inspiration from travel and why you always have to visit your host’s bathroom – guest post at Vivienne Tuffnell’s blog October 9, 2017
- Doing NaNoWriMo? Nail it with this resource kit October 8, 2017
- Writing, social media and other authorly tips – guest spot at Damyanti Biswas October 6, 2017