My guest this week used to regard music as a mostly-ignorable atmosphere. Then one inspirational moment changed everything. She was listening to Mike Oldfield when a character leaped, fully formed, into her imagination – an enigmatic pirate of the Caribbean, skilled with a cutlass and a roguish smile. This character also proved a turning point in her career, as her agent advised her that the adult readership did not want stories about pirates. But so strong was her conviction about the character that she wrote him anyway – and thus her indie career was born. She is Helen Hollick, her novels are the Sea Witch series, and she’s on the Red Blog with her Undercover Soundtrack. All say ‘arrr’.
Nail Your Novel – Writing, publishing and self-publishing advice from a bestselling ghostwriter and book doctor
- Email me
- Nail Your Novel: books
- FAQ: I’m a new writer: which book should I read first?
- My writing process: the picture tour
- Nail Your Novel: Why Writers Abandon Books and how you can Draft, Fix and Finish With Confidence
- Reviews of Nail Your Novel
- Who’s tweeting about Nail Your Novel …
- Writing Characters Who’ll Keep Readers Captivated: Nail Your Novel
- Writing Plots With Drama, Depth & Heart: Nail Your Novel
- Who am I?
‘Music used to be background until this character’ – The Undercover Soundtrack, Helen Hollick
I post 4 to 5 useful writing links per day… and other stuffMy Tweets
- ‘I heard a song being played in an electrical store’ – The Undercover Soundtrack, Glynis Smy February 25, 2015
- Can writing be taught? And what do writing teachers teach? February 22, 2015
- How do we label ourselves as writers? Guest spot at Dan Holloway – and the box set is available NOW! February 21, 2015
- ‘Music for looking into the past’ – The Undercover Soundtrack, Audrina Lane February 18, 2015
- Are you underusing your best plot ideas? Guest post at KM Weiland February 15, 2015
- Self-publishing and staying true to yourself – interview at Jane Davis’s blog February 12, 2015
- ‘Music for tragedy, coming of age, romance’ – The Undercover Soundtrack, Karen Wojcik Berner February 11, 2015
Sign up for my newsletter
See what I did there…