My guest this week used to regard music as a mostly-ignorable atmosphere. Then one inspirational moment changed everything. She was listening to Mike Oldfield when a character leaped, fully formed, into her imagination – an enigmatic pirate of the Caribbean, skilled with a cutlass and a roguish smile. This character also proved a turning point in her career, as her agent advised her that the adult readership did not want stories about pirates. But so strong was her conviction about the character that she wrote him anyway – and thus her indie career was born. She is Helen Hollick, her novels are the Sea Witch series, and she’s on the Red Blog with her Undercover Soundtrack. All say ‘arrr’.
Nail Your Novel – Writing, publishing and self-publishing advice from a bestselling ghostwriter and book doctor
- Email me
- Nail Your Novel: books
- FAQ: I’m a new writer: which book should I read first?
- My writing process: the picture tour
- Nail Your Novel: Why Writers Abandon Books and how you can Draft, Fix and Finish With Confidence
- Reviews of Nail Your Novel
- Who’s tweeting about Nail Your Novel …
- Writing Characters Who’ll Keep Readers Captivated: Nail Your Novel
- Writing Plots With Drama, Depth & Heart: Nail Your Novel
- Who am I?
‘Music used to be background until this character’ – The Undercover Soundtrack, Helen Hollick
I post 4 to 5 useful writing links per day… and other stuffMy Tweets
- Why writing a novel is not like writing for your day job – and how to transition May 3, 2015
- ‘A horse, a hat and a fight for freedom’ – The Undercover Soundtrack, Tanya Landman April 29, 2015
- So You Want To Be A Writer – musical taster of past shows April 26, 2015
- Magic ingredients for a great plot – video and podcast at The Creative Penn April 24, 2015
- ‘A disturbing symphony’ – The Undercover Soundtrack, Paul Adkin April 22, 2015
- How to keep writing when time is scarce – 6 tips and video chat at #IndieReCon15 April 19, 2015
- ‘The distraction of silence’ – The Undercover Soundtrack, Louise Marley April 15, 2015
Sign up for my newsletter
See what I did there…