My new novel isn’t set in the world of music and none of the characters are musicians. It’s a quirky take on the future dystopia/utopia, with a smattering of Arcadia too – misty woods, abandoned towns, a forbidden life by night; the scent of bygone days; and an enigmatic door in a dream. Behind the scenes, though, music did all the early work for me. The first, rough outline came to me from favourite tracks by Boards of Canada, Peter Gabriel, Vangelis, Enya, Ralph Vaughan Williams and the Hungarian electronica composer Gabor Presser. As I built the story I listened to them repeatedly, and now each of them represents a landmark on my main character’s journey. Join me on the Red Blog, when I’ll explain the Undercover Soundtrack for Lifeform Three.
Nail Your Novel – Writing, publishing and self-publishing advice from a bestselling ghostwriter and book doctor
- Email me
- Nail Your Novel: books
- FAQ: I’m a new writer: which book should I read first?
- My writing process: the picture tour
- Nail Your Novel: Why Writers Abandon Books and how you can Draft, Fix and Finish With Confidence
- Reviews of Nail Your Novel
- Who’s tweeting about Nail Your Novel …
- Writing Characters Who’ll Keep Readers Captivated: Nail Your Novel
- Writing Plots With Drama, Depth & Heart: Nail Your Novel
- Who am I?
« Writing mentors, writer’s block and the Wife of Bath – guest post at Jon Winokur’s Advice To Writers
‘He hears sounds like a heartbeat in the ground’ – The Undercover Soundtrack, Lifeform Three
I post 4 to 5 useful writing links per day… and other stuffMy Tweets
- ‘The planes, the explosions, the dust, the calm’ – The Undercover Soundtrack, Kerry Drewery July 28, 2015
- Self-editing masterclass snapshots: Characters are grief stricken – how do I stop that becoming monotonous? July 26, 2015
- ‘Close your eyes and listen with your hands’ – The Undercover Soundtrack, Tawnysha Greene July 22, 2015
- Self-editing masterclass snapshots – ‘My drafts are too brief’ July 19, 2015
- ‘The atmosphere to express the inexpressible’ – The Undercover Soundtrack, Rebecca Mascull July 14, 2015
- Writing unforgettable characters – guest post at Vine Leaves Literary Journal July 13, 2015
- Self-editing masterclass snapshots – how much will you write to create your book? July 12, 2015
Sign up for my newsletter
See what I did there…