My new novel isn’t set in the world of music and none of the characters are musicians. It’s a quirky take on the future dystopia/utopia, with a smattering of Arcadia too – misty woods, abandoned towns, a forbidden life by night; the scent of bygone days; and an enigmatic door in a dream. Behind the scenes, though, music did all the early work for me. The first, rough outline came to me from favourite tracks by Boards of Canada, Peter Gabriel, Vangelis, Enya, Ralph Vaughan Williams and the Hungarian electronica composer Gabor Presser. As I built the story I listened to them repeatedly, and now each of them represents a landmark on my main character’s journey. Join me on the Red Blog, when I’ll explain the Undercover Soundtrack for Lifeform Three.
Nail Your Novel – Writing, publishing and self-publishing advice from a bestselling ghostwriter and book doctor
- Email me
- Nail Your Novel: books
- FAQ: I’m a new writer: which book should I read first?
- My writing process: the picture tour
- Nail Your Novel: Why Writers Abandon Books and how you can Draft, Fix and Finish With Confidence
- Reviews of Nail Your Novel
- Who’s tweeting about Nail Your Novel …
- Writing Characters Who’ll Keep Readers Captivated: Nail Your Novel
- Writing Plots With Drama, Depth & Heart: Nail Your Novel
- Who am I?
« Writing mentors, writer’s block and the Wife of Bath – guest post at Jon Winokur’s Advice To Writers
‘He hears sounds like a heartbeat in the ground’ – The Undercover Soundtrack, Lifeform Three
I post 4 to 5 useful writing links per day… and other stuffMy Tweets
- 2 days to get 7-novel box set – the band is about to split May 21, 2015
- ‘An expectant silence, a connection to something greater’ – The Undercover Soundtrack, Kathryn Craft May 20, 2015
- How to think like a novelist – with help from Station Eleven and Emily St John Mandel May 17, 2015
- I write because… I’m totally unsuited to anything else – interview at Chris Hill’s blog May 17, 2015
- ‘His voice brought me back to where I began’ – The Undercover Soundtrack, Joni Rodgers May 13, 2015
- Help – my characters are all too similar! 5 tips to make them distinct May 10, 2015
- ‘An anxious, urgent sound: the music of chance’ – The Undercover Soundtrack, Jim Ruland May 6, 2015
Sign up for my newsletter
See what I did there…