My new novel isn’t set in the world of music and none of the characters are musicians. It’s a quirky take on the future dystopia/utopia, with a smattering of Arcadia too – misty woods, abandoned towns, a forbidden life by night; the scent of bygone days; and an enigmatic door in a dream. Behind the scenes, though, music did all the early work for me. The first, rough outline came to me from favourite tracks by Boards of Canada, Peter Gabriel, Vangelis, Enya, Ralph Vaughan Williams and the Hungarian electronica composer Gabor Presser. As I built the story I listened to them repeatedly, and now each of them represents a landmark on my main character’s journey. Join me on the Red Blog, when I’ll explain the Undercover Soundtrack for Lifeform Three.
Nail Your Novel – Writing, publishing and self-publishing advice from a bestselling ghostwriter and book doctor
- Email me
- Nail Your Novel: books
- FAQ: I’m a new writer: which book should I read first?
- My writing process: the picture tour
- Nail Your Novel: Why Writers Abandon Books and how you can Draft, Fix and Finish With Confidence
- Reviews of Nail Your Novel
- Who’s tweeting about Nail Your Novel …
- Writing Characters Who’ll Keep Readers Captivated: Nail Your Novel
- Writing Plots With Drama, Depth & Heart: Nail Your Novel
- Who am I?
« Writing mentors, writer’s block and the Wife of Bath – guest post at Jon Winokur’s Advice To Writers
‘He hears sounds like a heartbeat in the ground’ – The Undercover Soundtrack, Lifeform Three
I post 4 to 5 useful writing links per day… and other stuffMy Tweets
- ‘Men, women, flirtation and heartbreak’ – The Undercover Soundtrack, Chris Hill March 4, 2015
- What keeps you resilient as a writer? March 1, 2015
- ‘I heard a song being played in an electrical store’ – The Undercover Soundtrack, Glynis Smy February 25, 2015
- Can writing be taught? And what do writing teachers teach? February 22, 2015
- How do we label ourselves as writers? Guest spot at Dan Holloway – and the box set is available NOW! February 21, 2015
- ‘Music for looking into the past’ – The Undercover Soundtrack, Audrina Lane February 18, 2015
- Are you underusing your best plot ideas? Guest post at KM Weiland February 15, 2015
Sign up for my newsletter
See what I did there…