My new novel isn’t set in the world of music and none of the characters are musicians. It’s a quirky take on the future dystopia/utopia, with a smattering of Arcadia too – misty woods, abandoned towns, a forbidden life by night; the scent of bygone days; and an enigmatic door in a dream. Behind the scenes, though, music did all the early work for me. The first, rough outline came to me from favourite tracks by Boards of Canada, Peter Gabriel, Vangelis, Enya, Ralph Vaughan Williams and the Hungarian electronica composer Gabor Presser. As I built the story I listened to them repeatedly, and now each of them represents a landmark on my main character’s journey. Join me on the Red Blog, when I’ll explain the Undercover Soundtrack for Lifeform Three.
Nail Your Novel – Writing, publishing and self-publishing advice from a bestselling ghostwriter and book doctor
Nail Your Novel
- Books for writers
- FAQ: I’m a new writer: which book should I read first?
- FREE Nail Your Novel Instant Fix: 100 Tips For Fascinating Characters
- My writing process: the picture tour
- Nail Your Novel: A Companion Workbook
- Nail Your Novel: Why Writers Abandon Books and how you can Draft, Fix and Finish With Confidence
- Reviews of Nail Your Novel
- Who’s tweeting about Nail Your Novel …
- Writing Characters Who’ll Keep Readers Captivated: Nail Your Novel
- Writing Plots With Drama, Depth & Heart: Nail Your Novel
- Email me
« Writing mentors, writer’s block and the Wife of Bath – guest post at Jon Winokur’s Advice To Writers
‘He hears sounds like a heartbeat in the ground’ – The Undercover Soundtrack, Lifeform Three
- Join 26,191 other subscribers
- In search of enhanced weirdness – novelist Kate Brandt @kbrandtwriter March 20, 2023
- Once more with feeling – some notes about description March 12, 2023
- Your first pages – 5 manuscripts critiqued at @Litopia by literary agent @AgentPete @AJ_Dickenson and me! March 10, 2023
- ‘Let the narrative bend where it wants to’ – memoirist Joseph Lezza @lezzdoothis February 21, 2023
- When machines write books: will AI writing threaten authors’ livelihoods? February 12, 2023
- How do you market literary fiction, especially as an indie author? Guest spot at @IndieAuthorALLI February 9, 2023
- ‘The sound of a typewriter brings me happiness’ – historical fiction and non-fiction author Cordelia Biddle @AuthorBiddle January 17, 2023
Seen regularly at ...
Authorised personnel only
Don\’t miss a post: subscribe to Nail Your Novel
- Join 26,191 other subscribers
#1 by acflory on January 9, 2014 - 9:49 am
I’m hooked already! When is it being released?
#2 by rozmorris @NailYourNovel @ByRozMorris on January 9, 2014 - 10:22 am
It’s out already, Andrea! Step this way… http://www.amazon.co.uk/Lifeform-Three-Roz-Morris/dp/1494305410/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1389262901&sr=8-1&keywords=lifeform+three
#3 by acflory on January 10, 2014 - 10:56 am
Got it! Thank you. 🙂 Next cab off the rank.
#4 by Anna Nordeman on January 11, 2014 - 3:35 am
Saturday 11th January 2014
Hello again, Roz,
I mentioned your book (Nail Your Novel) on my blog post. Unfortunately, my blog is not that popular, but I thoughtyou may like to know that I thought of you.
Anna’s IWSG for January 2014
#5 by rozmorris @NailYourNovel @ByRozMorris on January 11, 2014 - 8:52 pm
Much appreciated, Anna – thank you! I left you a comment… if Blogger hasn’t eaten it….