My new novel isn’t set in the world of music and none of the characters are musicians. It’s a quirky take on the future dystopia/utopia, with a smattering of Arcadia too – misty woods, abandoned towns, a forbidden life by night; the scent of bygone days; and an enigmatic door in a dream. Behind the scenes, though, music did all the early work for me. The first, rough outline came to me from favourite tracks by Boards of Canada, Peter Gabriel, Vangelis, Enya, Ralph Vaughan Williams and the Hungarian electronica composer Gabor Presser. As I built the story I listened to them repeatedly, and now each of them represents a landmark on my main character’s journey. Join me on the Red Blog, when I’ll explain the Undercover Soundtrack for Lifeform Three.
Nail Your Novel – Writing, publishing and self-publishing advice from a bestselling ghostwriter and book doctor
- Email me
- Nail Your Novel: books
- FAQ: I’m a new writer: which book should I read first?
- FREE Nail Your Novel Instant Fix: 100 Tips For Fascinating Characters
- My writing process: the picture tour
- Nail Your Novel: Why Writers Abandon Books and how you can Draft, Fix and Finish With Confidence
- Reviews of Nail Your Novel
- Who’s tweeting about Nail Your Novel …
- Writing Characters Who’ll Keep Readers Captivated: Nail Your Novel
- Writing Plots With Drama, Depth & Heart: Nail Your Novel
- Who am I?
« Writing mentors, writer’s block and the Wife of Bath – guest post at Jon Winokur’s Advice To Writers
‘He hears sounds like a heartbeat in the ground’ – The Undercover Soundtrack, Lifeform Three
Le tweet …. c’est chicMy Tweets
Facebook, Pinterest, Linked In, YouTube
- How do you discover the books you want to buy? Some thoughts about book marketing October 23, 2016
- ‘A song that makes sense of my story’ – The Undercover Soundtrack, Annalisa Crawford October 21, 2016
- Got a personal story to tell… should you make it into a novel? October 16, 2016
- Pace and story structure: a blueprint for keeping the reader gripped October 9, 2016
- ‘Hope, chaos and a fighting spirit’ – The Undercover Soundtrack, Deborah Andrews October 6, 2016
- How to write emotions and feelings October 2, 2016
- Doing NaNoWriMo? Nail it with this resource kit October 1, 2016